Executive Director, US Policy & Government Relations Job Washington United States,
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Executive Director, U.S. Policy & Government Relations, is responsible for identifying legislative opportunities and threats of importance to the Company, analyzing their impact, ensuring the timely development of policy positions on legislative issues, and developing and leading strategies to advocate for and achieve desired results. Takes a leadership role in the creation of internal working groups, and in the development and implementation of industry, policy and legislative positions. Responsible for gaining appropriate cross-functional and business input to federal policy and legislative advocacy positions.
- Proactively evaluates Federal legislative and regulatory environment/activities on a continuous basis for potential impact on the Company and identifies issues for which Merck has an interest and should take a position and appropriate action. Ensures the development of such positions and recommends courses of action.
- Works with policy group and leads efforts to involve appropriate Company experts to develop policy positions on assigned issue areas and initiates discussion and development of appropriate working groups on new or emerging issues of interest to the Company.
- Leads efforts to shape and improve legislation to incorporate Merck's views, including appropriate third party outreach and coalition building.
- Keeps informed on all federal legislative issues impacting Merck and helps provide pertinent information and support to other federal lobbying and policy staff.
- Plays leadership role in member associations and coalitions to ensure that their advocacy positions and activities are aligned with Merck positions.
- Drafts legislative advocacy materials for use with members of Congress/staff and employee educational materials for use in the Company's PAC and grassroots programs, and drafts legislative testimony in support of Company positions and prepares Company witnesses for participation in congressional hearings.
- Acts as principal interface with key members of congress, congressional leadership, congressional staff, the White House and agency leadership.
- Manages external consultants in support of advocacy programs.
- Represents Merck at trade associations, think tanks and with other external stakeholders.
- Acts as a principal interface with Merck leadership and business divisions.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Master's or Professional degree strongly preferred.
- 8+ years of experience working with Congress and/or the Administration.
- Must possess significant Congressional and/or Administration contacts to shape and improve legislation to incorporate Merck's views and enhance Merck's reputation with key policymakers.
- Strong communication skills to influence and effectively lead internal and external audiences to desired outcomes.
- Ability to master complex policy and legislative issues, think creatively, and develop innovative strategies and solutions.
- Ability to manage numerous, competing priorities under pressure and has effective employee and program management skills.
- High degree of ethics and ability to build effective working relationships both internally and externally
Our employees are the key to our company s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Policy/Government Relations
Job Title:Exec. Dir, Policy/Govern. Relations
Primary Location: NA-US-DC-Washington
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Manager, Law, Program Manager, Animal Health, Government, Management, Legal, Veterinary
Find a Job Find Candidates