Executive Director, Research Science Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck’s world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area’s biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck’s powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
Merck Research Laboratories is seeking an experienced, innovative Executive Director, Research Science with deep subject matter expertise across the spectrum of Cardiometabolic Disease and related co-morbidities to lead a research team focused on novel drug discovery at our new site in South San Francisco, CA. Here you will be able to participate in a vibrant culture of leading academic and biotech research centers to promote your research and advance our drug discovery efforts. We’re seeking a highly accomplished drug hunter who has had a wide variety of experience within industry, academia and entrepreneurship. The Executive Director, Research Science will ensure that our discovery laboratories are recognized for their scientific innovation by driving and responding to rapidly breaking science and evolving global healthcare demands.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with key opinion leaders and academic/industry partners.
- Play a key leadership role in expanding Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco’s drug discovery programs.
- Initiates and leads programs which lead to novel drug discovery.
- Ensure projects are adequately resourced and prioritized to deliver on objectives.
- Provide timely, high quality non-clinical discovery, investigative, development and marketing support that assesses the efficacy and safety of products using in vitro and in vivo methods in full compliance with FDA and international guidance and regulations.
- Establish strategy and direct the conduct of Safety assessment studies in support of discovery, development, and marketing of multiple modalities of therapeutic agents.
- Assure that the highest scientific standards and rigor are applied in non-clinical safety study conduct.
- Develop as appropriate new methods and approaches in support of therapeutic discovery and development.
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Biological or Physical Sciences from an accredited college or university with graduate or postgraduate training in cardio metabolic, ocular, muscle biology, developmental biology, pharmacology or related field.
- Must have demonstrated leadership skills and scientific skills with international recognition through an extensive publication record.
- Must have a minimum of 20 years’ experience in drug discovery/development with demonstrated management duties.
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Research Science
Job Title:Executive Director, Research Science
Primary Location: NA-US-CA-South San Francisco
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Job Segment: Manager, Biotech, Clinical Research, Medical Research, Management, Science, Healthcare, Research