Executive Director, Medical Affairs Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Executive Director Medical Affair- Health Systems (EDMA-HS) is responsible for the tactical direction of a ~30 member health systems medical team comprised of 3 Team Leaders (MATL), a Field Training Director, 1-2 Quality Directors, and a full field based medical professionals covering national and regional health systems accounts. The EDMA-HS is the primary interface with the US Integrated Account Management (IAM) leadership and is accountable for all aspects of recruiting, hiring, on-boarding, and developing the medical affairs personnel in order to execute the medical strategy across all franchises within all IAM account types. In addition, the EDMA-HS ensures strong integration and medical account management with all USMA, OGMA, vaccines and IAM stakeholders. The EDMA-HS is accountable for performance management, organizational talent review and development, and succession planning for the HS team. The EDMA-HS assists the AVP Field Medical with field medical strategy, driving integration across the field medical teams and across the HS accounts.
Leadership and Management:
- In addition to the role summary -Provide ongoing assessment of team members’ competencies, develop and implement individualized employee development plans, complete performance evaluations based on observation, deliverables, and feedback from peers and customers.
- Provide guidance to the MATL to support the safe, effective, and knowledgeable use of Company products.
- Optimize therapeutic support of IAM accounts by ensuring collaboration with the Health Systems Medical Affairs team.
Strategic Planning and Project Management:
- Ensure Health Systems input via the HS MASLs into the franchise plans and the aggregated HS plan on an annual basis,
- Optimize HS management team alignment, integration, and tactical implementation via leadership of HS Medical Management Team.
- Assist AVP, Field Medical, AVP, Hosp/Spec and AVP, PC/WH with departmental strategic planning and resource management.
- Interface with GMA, Franchise Team, and other HQ personnel, as appropriate.
- Assist in the development of and effective management of the team’s budget.
- Review and approve routine expense reports, as applicable and appropriate.
- MD, PharmD, or PhD with demonstrated ability to effectively lead and coach scientific / medical colleagues at all skill and knowledge levels.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in field medical affairs leadership and 3 years of experience in the health systems (e.g., payer, organized provider) space inside or outside of the biopharmaceutical industry
- A thorough understanding of the evolving health systems landscape to include payment, quality and policy changes.
- Ability to effectively engage Merck Senior Management to develop and articulate USMA franchise vision and strategies.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills, strong personal integrity, teamwork abilities, strong business and financial acumen, and a customer focus are necessary.
- A thorough understanding of the FDA, OIG, HIPAA and other ethical guidelines relevant to the pharmaceutical industry, and ensure compliance with external and internal guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing, ambiguous environment and to motivate a team to do the same.
- Scientific/medical research and publication experience in health economics and outcomes research
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Ability to interface effectively with a variety of technical platforms for the collection, review, and dissemination of medical information.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Medical Affairs Generic
Job Title:Exec. Dir, Medical Affairs
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Other Locations: NA-US-IL-Chicago, NA-US-TX-Dallas, NA-US-GA-Atlanta, NA-US-OH-Cleveland, NA-US-NY-New York City, NA-US-PA-Philadelphia, NA-US-DC-Washington, NA-US-MA-Boston
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Medical, Manager, Franchise, Medical Research, Performance Management, Healthcare, Management, Retail, Human Resources