Executive Director, Late Stage Oncology and Immunology/Respiratory Assessment Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Leads Merck’s efforts in search & evaluation and due diligence
of preclinical and clinical POC stage to regulatory approval business development opportunities in the oncology
and immunology/respiratory therapeutic areas. Complementing and/or expanding on current core footprint (global
responsibility for post POC; for pre-POC stage responsibility is all
geographies outside of our innovation hubs) for all modalities.
• Leads and engages a team of search and
evaluation professionals (while also executing search and evaluation) focused
on the oncology and immunology/respiratory therapeutic areas, ensuring
consistency, focus and efficiency in the search and evaluation process.
• Formulates licensing strategy with
preclinical and clinical development leadership and line functions and ensures
robust strategies are communicated and implemented to key internal and external
• Working closely with preclinical/clinical
and commercial team, as well as commercial BD colleagues to ensure alignment
between activities and needs relating to the late stage pipeline.
• Working closely with search and
evaluation staffs in External Innovation Hubs and early stage assessment leads
to ensure comprehensive coverage of relevant preclinical and clinical space.
• Manages a portfolio of complex
projects as the primary scientific contact and spokesperson for potential
licensing, acquisition, collaborations, co-development agreements, and strategic
alliances in relevant preclinical and clinical space.
• Responsible for the quality of the
formal due diligence output, integrating internal and external subject matter expert
input and for senior management review and approval.
• Working closely with transaction
leads, legal, commercial and financial analysis team to ensure relevant preclnical
and clinical deals of highest priority are being advanced and executed.
• Provides thorough and timely assessments
and updates to Senior Management and governance bodies to ensure efficient
communication and seamless cross functional collaboration
• Serves as a spokesperson for Merck
and makes presentations on behalf of Merck at industry networking events,
scientific conferences and other venues.
• Proactively identifies and solves complex
problems that impact the direction of the business
• Analyzes the full range of data and leads
the cross-functional due diligence on inbound and outbound licensing and
business development opportunities (from proof of concept through filing).
• Assists in the coordination and
prioritization of the portfolio of search & evaluation projects and
coordinations activities between the Hub and others in BD&L. Helps to
ensure the success of the overall portfolio of opportunities across the
- Degree qualified – Bachelor's required; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 plus years relevant experience in the biopharmaceutical industry with good understanding of drug discovery and development process and broad knowledge of the biotech and healthcare sector.
- 5 plus years relevant experience in business development and established BD network in biopharmaceutical industry are required.
- Good understanding of industry trends and competitive landscape.
- Strong business acumen and ability to translate scientific and technical information to frame attractive business opportunity.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, critical-thinking, verbal and written communication skills.
- Impeccable organizational skills, operational skills, and ability to understand the content of and memorialize interactions potential partners. Ability to communicate and understand key mechanism of action of all relevant compounds.
- Strong leadership skills and proven ability to influence others to reach common goals as well as act independently.
- Must possess the executive presence to facilitate the decision making process among Merck Senior Executives.
- Demonstrated success in identifying, evaluating and execution of significant clinical stage partnerships and alliances resulting in substantial impact to the company.
- Travel: 25 - 35%
- Clinical development experience is desirable
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job Title:Exec. Dir, Licensing
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Other Locations: NA-US-MA-Boston
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Oncology, Biotech, Immunology, Law, Manager, Healthcare, Science, Legal, Management