Executive Director, GSE Biologics Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Accountable for all environmental, health, and safety (EHS) program execution and compliance for manufacturing at MMD Biologic/Sterile sites. Leads all site EHS directors and leaders and influences site and region business partners to drive prioritization of regulatory compliance, continuous performance improvement, and integration of EHS performance objectives into standard work processes. Models strong compliance mind set, draws on direct manufacturing pharmaceutical experience and develops strategies to achieve these goals in alignment with company business goals and values. Self-motivated, reliable and persistent; develops staff managerial and technical skills to assure seamless execution and succession.
- Demonstrate accountability and responsibility for Environment, Health, Safety and Sustainability (EHS&S) performance and compliance through active participation and support of Merck's EHS&S Program. Assure compliance objectives and team goals are achieved per requirements/schedule.
- Provide expert advice and technical guidance for EHS&S programs and projects. Serve as key person responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the EHS management system.
- Interface with Corporate, Division, plant and external community organizations/agencies regarding EHS&S issues and strategy. Serve as single EHS&S point of contact for BIO/STERILE Operations in MMD.
- Demonstrate robust portfolio and project management, assure adherence to financial budget targets and rapid disciplined decision making.
- Drive continuous improvement, innovation, and sustainable results across EHS&S projects/programs, EHS assessments and resulting action plans; and complete identified actions in accordance with identified target dates.
- Review and/or approve regulatory permits, inspection outcomes and audit report findings to assure appropriate submission, impact, and/or action. Develops/oversees solutions and reports status readily to executive management.
- Anticipates, recognizes and responds to changing internal and external trends, market conditions, regulatory legislation, etc., evaluate and integrate the information to define potential effect on the sites. Develop solutions that are progressive, compliant and scalable.
- Facilitate leadership team cohesion, assures rapid communication and best practice sharing with peers/management. Prospectively functions as a conduit of information between the operating facilities and EHS&S management at Site, Division and Corporate levels.
- Recruit, lead, and develop staff to achieve these outcomes.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor’s Degree required (should have a concentration in Environmental, Safety, Engineering, Science or related technical discipline).
- Masters/MBA (desirable).
- Must have direct experience in a biologic or sterile research or manufacturing operation within the pharmaceutical industry.
- Clear and recognizable understanding of the processes, equipment and methods associated with Biologics and Sterile manufacturing.
- Vision and sound judgment; ability to develop strategy and execute tactically.
- Proven experience leading a site program such as Manufacturing, Research, Tech Ops function, Quality or EHS Plant Leadership in pharmaceutical or chemical industry.
- Robust skills interpreting and applying regulatory frameworks such EU OSHA, US OSHA, OHSAS 18000, EPA, ISO, NFPA, GMP
- Experience leading at manufacturing or research site. Direct biologics or sterile experience.
- Robust skills interpreting and applying regulatory frameworks.
- Strong leadership, change execution, and financial management skills. Readily and actively contributes to the success of the team.
- Ability to simultaneously balance and adjust to multiple changing priorities and make decisions with speed and accuracy.
- Agile and self-directed; intellectually curious. Thrives in fast paced environment.
- Robust interpersonal, written/verbal communications; collaboration skills.
- Excellent coaching & development experience, development of people, and succession planning. Builds and cultivates strong collaborative relationships with stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully negotiate with regulatory agencies and senior operations leaders.
- Prior leader of dispersed or large teams; experience managing in a matrix.
- Excel Pivot Tables; relational database design and querying
- Relevant professional certification(s) e.g. PE). Lean/Six Sigma experience and Change Execution Management
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Env, Health & Safety Generic
Job Title:Exec. Dir, Safety & Environment
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Pharmaceutical, Law, Scientist, Manager, Science, Legal, Management, Research