This job is currently Archived,
Engineer V (Lead Engineer - Flow Cytometry) Hercules United States,
Posted on : 21 March 2017
Lead Engineer - Flow Cytometry
Lead Engineer - Flow Cytometry
- We are making a big expansion in the cellular biology area of the life sciences research market.
- We have recently launched an exciting new fully automated cell sorter that allows researchers to concentrate on their work rather than their instrument.
- It s got a temperature controlled plate based sample loader, high velocity sheath, on board bulk fluids, and a big FPGA doing on board digital signal processing.
- We are looking for help leading our charge into this new space, heading up a dynamic engineering team on our journey to make new instruments and push the envelope to help unlock the secrets held deep within a cell.
What you'll be doing:
- Responsible to help guide and lead an engineering team for all platform development activities of cell biology research instruments (heating, cooling, fluidics, electronics, mechanical systems, optics, lasers, PMTs) including the development of advanced flow cytometers and cell sorters.
- This is a technical leadership position that would manage the activities of a cross functional engineering team but still have a hands-on approach.
- We require a strong emphasis on quality, reliability and manufacturability in all activities.Individual contributor specialist with full understanding of work concepts, principles and practices in engineering and flow cytometry.
- Uses knowledge to expand on standard techniques and processes in creative and effective ways.
- Applies extensive knowledge of technical principles, theories, and concepts in mechanical, electrical and optical engineering and employs sound project management. Integrates research, information and trends into solutions to identify and solve complex problems that require evaluation of variables and the regular use of ingenuity and innovation.
- Works with general direction and acts as a key contributor in own area of knowledge. Shall provide guidance to lower-level employees.
- Guides the successful completion of major programs, processes and/or projects for the department/function, and often takes on a project leadership role. Has responsibility for communications with key external development partners and contract engineering firms.
What you need for this role:
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criterion for obtaining results.
- Formulates changes in development, maintenance and system standards.
- Formulates/monitors project plans.
- Assigns and monitors and reports the progress of work distributed to others.
- May be the key contact for outside application/technology providers.
- Experience with solid modeling software (SolidWorks preferred). Practical knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Technical project management
- Knowledge of material and polymer properties, especially those used in the medical and life science industries.
- Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills. Experience with dispersed project teams strongly desired.
- Team technical leadership or supervision.
- BS or better in mechanical engineering, electrical, optical or closely-related discipline.
- +10 years of experience in design of instrumentation in the medical or life sciences fields. Preferable in flow cytometry and/or cell sorting.
- Experienced with instrumentation design including electrical, optical, fluidics, mechanical components, molding, and material specification.
- Product design and fabrication experience with electro-mechanical devices preferred.
- Design and documentation experience with Solidworks or similar solid modelling software. Working knowledge with Microsoft office applications.
- Knowledgeable in developing designs in a regulated environment.
What s in it for you:
- Competitive pay and great benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401k and more
- Opportunities for growth and training
- Stability of a profitable 60+ year old company
- Great work environment
- Our company is a global leader providing a broad array of clinical diagnostics and life science research products.
- With a team of more than 7,800 employees and a global network of operations serving our customers, we help people live longer, healthier lives.
- Our company was founded over six decades ago and has continued to provide the healthcare industry with innovative and useful products that help life science researchers accelerate the discovery process and medical diagnostic labs obtain faster, better results.
Hercules California United States
Find a Job Find Candidates