Engineer - Application Research - United Kingdom
Solvay's vision is to ask more from chemistry. Our focus on innovation, advanced technology and application expertise enables us to develop, manufacture and sell products that change the way our customers do business.
Solvay is a leading supplier of composite materials, process consumables and tooling to industries such as high performance automotive, Formula 1, aerospace, rail, defence, renewable energy and marine. Our spirit of innovation and desire to understand the customer needs now puts us in a leading position to service the automotive and aerospace industries at a time when the need for high performance light materials is prevalent.
Solvay's composite business is driven by fast customer response, unmatched technical support, technology and innovation and unparalleled product quality, offers a dynamic culture of "delivering innovation with real advantage".
As an Engineer - Application Research, you will be at the heart of our ambitious growth plans with an unrivalled opportunity to develop innovative, market leading composite materials and processes for a variety of applications. In the role of Engineer - Application Research, you will be located at our site in Heanor, where our Application Centre is based, but the role will include periodic travel to support customers and projects.
- Design, develop and improve composite manufacturing processes to support Solvay's key markets - particular focus would be needed upon the serial automotive and aerospace sectors
- Develop processing technologies that align to our customers' needs, with a particular focus upon thermoset composites processing (knowledge and experience of thermoplastics would be desirable, but not essential)
- Lead and motivate others through your technical contributions to projects
- Support our customers and address the challenges they face with regards to composite applications technologies
- Identify through theoretical and practical considerations, process improvement and development areas within existing processes
- Contribute in a proactive manner with the planning, execution, monitoring and reporting of development projects including within a collaborative environment
- Play a major role in developing and implementing the department strategy as part of the wider Application Engineering strategy
- Identify and propose intellectual property (IP) opportunities
- Drive your technical awareness within advanced and high performance composites by keeping abreast of the market as well as Solvay's strategic customers and partners
- Support the generation of cost models and trade studies to accurately predict costs for new materials and processes
- Support activities relating to composite design, and provide expertise on the practical considerations of design for manufacture
The succesful candidate will possess one of the following:
- A Master's degree (MSc or MEng) or an Honours degree (BSc or BEng) in a related engineering discipline and 5 years or more of related work experience
- Work experience in a related field of not less than 7 years