Director: Market Access EMEA
HCC Compliance Category:
Executive Director EMEA Market Access
Director Commercial Dev., AD Commercial Dev., AD Marketing Intelligence Commercial Dev., Director Corporate Dev., Director Alliance Mgmt.
Purpose of the Position:
To lead Market Access & pricing for key medicines across APEL including the development of the strategy and its implementation. To ensure that Market Access is embedded in the Clinical Development strategy for key pipeline products across APEL.
Core Tasks, Responsibilities and Authority:
- Embed Compliance Culture across all Regions of the business ensuring Integrity in Action is actively applied in all initiatives.
- Ensure European Business and Commercial Dev. Function(s) strictly adopt a culture of ethics and compliance; leading by example and appropriately challenging non-compliance.
- Ensure adherence to Astellas policies relating to Ethics and Compliance standards and interactions with Healthcare Professionals (HCPs), Healthcare Organisations (HCOs) and Patient Organisations (POs).
- Lead the Brand Market Access Strategy including Development and implementation
- Develop and drive strategies for market access of strategic products within the Brand business unit by coordinating a multi-disciplinary team that includes marketing, medical affairs pricing and health economics within Astellas and also with Alliance partners and APEL affiliates
- Responsible for the development of the brand value proposition to payers
- Lead development and implementation of pan European market access plans and pricing strategies working with affiliates and HQ to ensure maximum patient uptake and capture maximum value for Astellas’ key brand development assets and key marketed brands
- Demonstrate excellent environmental understanding and keen commercial insight in order to provide expert guidance on payer activities and attitudes in the market environment and support the above objectives.
- Provide a source of expertise within the franchise unit for the conduct of appropriate pricing and payer research to support brand planning and forecasting. Interpret results and generate payer insight as a guide to future strategy development. Provide an understanding of the key EU market access stakeholders, decision making processes and influencing in the key EU markets, and keep up with the constantly changing market access environment
- Lead and coordinate HQ functions supporting market access to ensure the delivery of necessary tools for affiliates to successfully execute locally
- Ensure that market access stakeholders are clearly mapped and a strategy is in place to contextualise, generate, package and communicate the asset value story to each external stakeholder
- In conjunction with Marketing, ensure alignment of market access strategy with commercial strategy and brand Plans for each asset and consistency of key commercial messages across the EU network
- Provide central resource and expertise in the field of pricing, reimbursement and market access within the brand Team
- Support Business Development (BD) & Early Phase Commercial Development (EPCD) teams to ensure that market access strategy is integrated into the commercial strategy process for products in development
- Interact and collaborate with Affiliate Market Access on brand market access initiatives
- Develop and execute pricing and market access strategy for key pre-launch products Lead the development of European strategy for pricing and market access of specified pre-launch products consulting with key affiliate market access colleagues as appropriate
- Formulate credible and robust value propositions for European payers, designing and executing required market research in consultation with the RPST leader, brand franchise market access and marketing intelligence colleagues as appropriate. Translate research insights into executable strategic plans
- Ensure that relevant market access stakeholders are clearly mapped and develop and execute plans to contextualise, generate and test the draft asset value story with key external stakeholders
- Liaise closely with GD-HEOR and affiliate colleagues to ensure aligned and timely implementation of agreed market access strategy
- In conjunction with RPST leader, ensure alignment of market access strategy with commercial strategy and Brand Plans for each asset and consistency of key commercial messages across the EU network
- Identify potential opportunities and develop plans within the context of the RPST to raise awareness of key therapy area medical conditions with payer stakeholders if identified as relevant and appropriate
- Act as a source of expertise on pricing and market access issues for Europe for pipeline products
- Demonstrate excellent environmental understanding and keen commercial insight in order to provide expert guidance on European payer activities and attitudes in the future market environment across the Astellas portfolio
- Provide a source of expertise within Business and Commercial Development for the conduct of appropriate pan-European pricing and payer research to support pipeline product planning and forecasting. Interpret results and generate payer insight as a guide to future global strategy development
- Provide an understanding of the key EU market access stakeholders, decision making processes and influencing in the key EU markets, and keep up with the constantly changing market access environment in relation to the pipeline portfolio
- Establish a highly credible point contact for global market access colleagues seeking information on future EU pricing and market access environment for pipeline products across the portfolio
- Develop and capture best thinking in European market access to act as a reference/education source for global colleagues (development, GD-HEOR, GMA, GMA, PPS) to support development of clinical trial and HEOR programmes that are fit for purpose
Mandatory Compliance requirements: Category: Targetted
To demonstrate personal accountability and fully comply with Astellas Group Code of Conduct and associated policies and procedures and other applicable laws, codes and regulations: to include the ABPI (The Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry) and EFPIA (European Federation of Pharmaceutical industries and Associates) Codes of Practice, relevant Healthcare Compliance policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). .
Proactively clarify and seek guidance as required, and raise any concerns, in a timely manner, with relevant manager; which may include reference to the Ethics and Compliance Team and/or Ethics and Compliance Helpdesk.
Undertake and comply with relevant mandatory Ethics and Compliance training, and refresher updates, in order to ensure personal ownership, understanding and accountability; all Compliance training to be undertaken in a timely manner.
Be aware of, and comply with, the Astellas Way and Astellas Competences, in terms of expected values and behaviours, Astellas’ HR policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Extensive regional/global cross-functional collaboration: input into European and Global commercial strategy
- Pan-European pricing and market access strategy for in market & pipeline products in EMEA
- Products: 1-2 mix of pre-launch & launch,
- Devolved budget of approx..
Internal - Assigned Project contacts:
- EHQ Marketing, Medical Affairs, Sales Operations, Legal, Marketing Intelligence, Market Access, HEOR
- Global colleagues in PPS, HEOR, GMS and GMA
- Global and regional colleagues (US, Japan and EU)
- Employees at all levels within EHQ, Business and Commercial Development, EMEA Operations and Affiliates
- External suppliers and consultants
- Professional and Regulatory bodies
Specific Physical Abilities:
Willing and able to undertake periodic International travel (including staying away)
Able to accommodate early/late out of hours teleconferences with US and Japan colleagues on occasion
Specific Environmental Factors:
Based at the EMEA Operations Headquarters - Chertsey, Surrey, UK
- Fosters a culture where everything is done to enhance value to patients. Intentional about meeting/exceeding customer expectations (internal/external).
- Leads the strategic planning process to drive breakthrough initiatives that support Astellas’ strategy.
- Strategic thinking skills to create a robust business case, analyse commercial and business information and devise strategy.
Able to integrate the strategy for pricing and market access with wider business
- Continuously monitors and identifies external trends in pricing and market access and incorporates in functional strategy
- Comprehensive understanding of corporate strategy, business administration, F&A, R&D and manufacturing technologies.
Innovation & Change:
- Acts as ambassador for change; able to embrace/persuade to secure sponsorship, commitment and innovation.
- Demonstrates thought leadership and an environment able to generate and harness new ideas and/or ways of working.
- Strong leadership presence; drives business practices that enable high-performance teams.
- Sound judgment, objectivity and decision making skills; overcomes set-backs/challenges. Creates a culture of personal and corporate accountability, addresses non-compliance.
- Mental agility necessary to analyze complex problems and mitigate business risk.
- IT literate; able to utilize MS Office and virtual collaboration tools, database, compliance systems/applications, online knowledge repositories etc.
Communication & Collaboration:
- Creates common purpose: seeks ideas, input. Challenges and facilitates robust solutions.
- Establishes strong network with diverse people/functions in multi-disciplinary settings and regions (EMEA, Americas, Japan and Asia).
- Ability to secure commitment from senior sponsors (local/international) and stakeholders (i.e. projects, budgets and resources).
- Strong presentation, communication, influencing and mgmt. reporting skills (compliance, qualitative/quantitative updates, risks/corrective action etc.) for diverse internal and/or external audience.
Developing & Inspiring:
- Proactively develops talent, coaches and empowers for success. Anticipates future skills, deployment and strategic resource planning.
- Experienced in managing within global virtual and matrix organization (indirect and functional reporting).
Working as One Astellas:
- Acts as an ambassador of ethics and compliance locally/internationally. Incorporates cross-cultural perspectives when addressing challenging situations.
- Respectful, natural coach. High integrity.
- Pharma sector experience with strong customer focus; in multi-disciplinary, matrix and cross-cultural settings (experience of Japanese environment is desirable)
- Specific knowledge of Pharmaceutical Commercial and Marketing Development and awareness/exposure to Drug Development Process
- High level of commercial acumen; high level of business integrity with solid pharmaceutical industry experience in a market access/commercial role ideally at a pan-European or global level
- In-depth experience of European and country level pricing and market access issues/needs.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding legal trade framework at a EU and country level
- Familiarity with terms and techniques associated with HEOR
- Strong network in market access within the industry and customer base
- Familiarity with drug discovery and EU regulatory process
- Extensive experience managing projects and teams at a pan-European or global level through to successful delivery
- Experience of working on products with partners e.g. co-development
- Experience of working on late and early stage development products
- Track-record of leading multi-year strategic planning process: strategic, organizational and problem-solving history to deliver sustained results.
- Proven leadership and people management experience including commitment to develop, coach and enable high performance standards.
- Proven ability to influence diverse senior stakeholders.
- Fluent in written and verbal business English. A second European language is a distinct advantage.
- Academic level : Degree or equivalent
Return signed hard copy to HR Function for personnel file.