This job is currently Archived,
Posted on : 22 March 2017
- Our company is seeking a PhD-level scientist to join our electrophysiology group.
- The scientist will establish assays for ion channel targets in different disease areas, and test ion channel modulator compounds for efficacy.
- Qualified candidates for this exciting opportunity must have experience with electrophysiology of voltage and ligand-gated channels.
- The successful candidate will also have a broad understanding of other non electrophysiological methodologies to measure ion channel activity.
- Moreover she/he will be detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Good written and verbal communication skills are required. Project teams at our company are interdisciplinary and require strong team players with effective communication.
- We expect that this scientist will contribute to intellectual property and have the opportunity to present findings at conferences.
- The current activities of e-phys team include target validation by manual patch clamp, protocol setting and compound screening with our automated patch clamp instrumentation.
- The ideal candidate will establish novel functional assays on new challenging channel targets using conventional manual patch clamp technique.
- Upon a dedicated training to the use of our automated patch clamp instrumentation, she/he will establish the most proper protocols for the e-phys measurement of different ion channels. Moreover she/he will be involved in compound profiling for different hit to lead discovery programs and for safety risk assessment.
Minimum Basic Qualifications:
- PhD in Biology, Physics, Pharmacology, Physiology or related subject;
- 3-4 years post-graduate experience;
- Experience of whole cell voltage clamp technique from isolated cells;
- Skill in preparation and handling of isolated cells, both primary cultures and recombinant cell lines;
- Deep knowledge in physiology, particularly ion channels, both ligand and voltage-gated;
- Flexibility and ability in exploring areas outside current sphere of expertise;
- Good written and oral communication skills;
- Good interaction capability with strong enthusiasm within multi-disciplinary teams.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Industry experience;
- Experience leading one or more ion channel discovery projects to development candidate;
- Technical leadership/ownership and responsibility for junior team members;
- Experience of high/medium throughput automated electrophysiology instrumentations;
- Multidisciplinary approach in ion channel studies (e.g. use of membrane potential, calcium sensitive dyes).
- Effective in building relationships, both external and internal to our company.
- Collaborative, team player with a positive attitude and creative problem solving abilities;
- Able to compile, analyze, and present data in a concise manner in both written and oral;
- Engaged in active problem-solving and driving issues to resolution;
- Continuously looking for ways to change or improve, while focusing on the big picture and not only on a specific activity or task;
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate ideas, data, and concepts while adjusting one's style based upon audience.
- Performing functional validation of new cell lines expressing the target of interest;
- Performing pharmacological profiling of small molecules modulators, identifying their mechanism of action on the targets;
- Identifying the optimal conditions and setting the experimental protocols for the adaptation of cell lines expressing the target of interest to the automated patch clamp;
- Validating the protocols and the target pharmacology by testing reference channel openers and blockers;
- Performing compound screening for different hit to lead discovery programs and for safety risk assessment;
- Maintaining broad awareness of state-of-the-art theories and scientific knowledge on ion channel pharmacology;
- Working with other disciplines within biology to enable validation and progression of drug discovery programs;
- Maintaining high standards of science quality and rigour;
- Preparing written reports/manuscripts and presenting data at scientific meetings (internal and external).
Equal opportunity employer
Our company offers a stimulating work environment and a competitive salary.
Bresso 20091 Metropolitan City of Milan Italy
Find a Job Find Candidates