This job is currently Archived,
Early development and stimulation of core mathematical competencies Leuven Belgium,
KU Leuven (company)
Posted on : 07 May 2017
- This overall research project aims to analyze the developmental trajectories of young children s emergent mathematical patterns and structures, computational estimation, proportional reasoning and probabilistic reasoning competence, and their individual differences, as well as their optimal educational stimulation.
- More specifically, we longitudinally follow the acquisition of, and developmental relations between,young children s emergent mathematical pattern and structure, computational estimation, proportional reasoning, and probabilistic reasoning competence in a large sample of 4-9-year-olds in the critical transition from non-formal to formal mathematics education.
- In addition, focused interventions will be designed to analyze the feasibility and effectiveness of early educational stimulation of these competences.
- Special attention will be paid to atypical developmental trajectories, in children with both the lowest (dyscalculia) and the highest (mathematically gifted) mathematics achievement.
- As stated above, we are looking for two PhD students who will realize this project for the themes "proportional reasoning" and "probabilistic reasoning".
- The expectation is that the applicant will, within a 4-year period, realize a PhD related to work packes 3 (proportional reasoning) or work package 4 (probabilistic reasoning) of the project. But besides the preparation of his/herown PhD research, (s)he will also be involved in the preparation, data collection and analysis of other work packages and may also be asked to assist in some other teaching- or research-related tasks.
- Candidates must have a Master s Degree in educational sciences or studies, psychology, speech therapy and audiology sciences, or related disciplines with an emphasis on educational and behavioral research.
- Especially in view of the empirical data collection, a very good mastery of the Dutch language is a requirement.
This position provides an excellent opportunity for beginning researchers to develop their specific research skills in the domain of (psychology of) mathematics education as well as additional more general academic in an attractive and stimulating environment.
3000 Leuven Belgium
Find a Job Find Candidates