Director, Therapeutic Area Lead Cardiovascular Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Director, Therapeutic Area Lead in Cardiovascular within Clinical Sciences and Study Management (CSSM) provides
and manages operational and scientific strategy, design and execution for multiple programs within Therapeutic Area (TA).
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Accountable for the communication of progress, status updates, mitigation plans and escalation of issues for trial or program level deliverables to Sr. Management.
- Stays abreast of pharmaceutical industry best practices, regulatory requirements and corporate strategies that impact the organization.
- Responsible for ensuring operational and scientific consistency and quality development and execution across multiple clinical programs within assigned Therapeutic Area.
- Facilitates strategic scientific and operational input, maintenance and continued evaluation of clinical development plans across programs.
- Ensures timelines and deliverables are met across programs.
- Responsible for resource management and deployment for assigned TA, disease and/or functional area, including hiring and staffing.
- Determines resource needs through the review of authorized and anticipated clinical development activities and applied knowledge of functional area and/or therapeutic area specific resource demands.
- Manages and provides feedback and developmental opportunities for direct reports and staff.
- Responsible for the annual budget for assigned area.
- Functions as representative or leads cross-functional /cross-divisional projects and initiatives.
- Represents organization on governance committees.
- Applies business and management expertise to set and achieve financial and scientific/operational objectives within a group or department.
- Leverages existing, new and novel knowledge and experience for developing innovative processes.
- Proactively manages resources to ensure operational and business objectives are met.
- Develops business plans and organizational priorities. Identifies needs for potential process improvements and may lead key change initiatives.
- Provides oversight in the development of departmental and/or functional area job aides and procedures/policies.
- Provides leadership and guidance to managers and/or individual contributors.
- Accountable for all aspects of performance management.
- Manages and assesses performance results for multiple teams and programs.
- Responsible for providing guidance regarding professional development of staff.
- Models and ensures leadership and collaboration within group.
- Accountable for performance and results of multiple areas.
- Interacts with key stakeholders across department, division and company.
- Resolves complex technical, operational and financial problems.
- Decisions guided by resource availability and department objectives
- BS/BA degree with a minimum of sixteen (16) years of relevant career experience OR Master’s degree with a minimum of twelve (12) years of relevant career experience OR PhD with a minimum of six (6) years of relevant career experience.
- Experience in conduct of clinical trials and familiarity with development of clinical and regulatory documents summarizing clinical results.
- A minimum of six (6) years of people management
- Demonstrated ability to influence opinions and decisions of internal and external customers/vendors across functional
- areas and within the division.
- Requires proactive approach at all times, strategic thinking and leadership to envision, plan and execute on the organizational goals.
- Ability to make decisions guided by profit plan or budget that impact support, resourcing and implementation of projects, programs and/or technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively delegate work to meet the business needs.
- Ability to take a broader view of issues in order to maximize benefit and/or impact to the organization.
- Has solid understanding of end-to-end clinical research process.
- Proven project management skills.
- Experience in end-to-end, strategic, scientific and operational conduct of clinical trials
- Strong people management skills.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Clinical Research - Clin Ops
Job Title:Dir, Clin. Operations
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Rahway
Other Locations: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Cardiac, Pharmaceutical, Law, Manager, Healthcare, Science, Legal, Management, Research