Director, Research and Early Development Strategy and External Innovation - United States
- Support Head of Research and Early Development (RED) in implementing strategy and serve as point of contact in the RED Leadership Team for relevant stakeholders/partners on strategy, portfolio and external innovation.
In conjunction with Head of RED, create and oversee the implementation of disease area and portfolio strategies; integrate input from various functional areas. Coordinate the roll out and implementation of strategic road maps, providing global strategic guidance to the RED teams
- In conjunction with Head of RED drive portfolio growth through prioritization and effective allocation of resources for assets and projects, identifying trade-offs where applicable for the integration of external programs.
- Coordinate, manage and facilitate assessment of new target proposals, and RED portfolio and pipeline reviews. Serve as RED interface with R&D Portfolio and Finance groups. Integrate and develop regular portfolio and resource analysis and derive appropriate recommendations to the Leadership Team.
- Consolidate and align external innovations activities, serve as a key interface with Business Development on external drug discovery collaborations and with academic collaborators.
- Coordinate evaluation, tracking and decision making on identified opportunities and implementation of new projects.
- Lead RED alliances that span multiple TAs, providing a single point of contact for collaboration partners.
- Manage joint steering committees of partnerships and lead external collaborations driving decision making, issue resolution and implementation of business critical activities.
- Proven track record in strategy development and understanding of the relevant business context of drug development
- Proven track record with portfolio, planning and management activities
- Proven track record in external innovation roles, eg. business development activities, interaction with external partners
- Experience in effectively managing industry-academia interactions
- Effective team work, networking and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical skills, organization and coordination skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Able to effectively collaborate across multiple organizations, and with stakeholders of various background and skill set.
- PhD or similar degree
- At least 7 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry in a research and development environment in one or several RED-relevant scientific domain(s)
- Through cutting-edge science and medicine, our company discovers, develops and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Our company is a pioneer in biotechnology and today the Company has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis (MS), has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is at the forefront of neurology research for conditions including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
- Our company also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics.
- Our global organization of nearly 7,000 employees is committed to a single mission: making a meaningful difference in the lives of patients with few or no treatment options.
- Our company was founded in 1978 and today serves patients in nearly 70 countries.
- We aspire to have the greatest impact on patients and science of any biotechnology company in the history of our industry.
- To us, that means creating novel medicines that benefit individuals and society, and bringing new scientific understanding to diseases for which there are no adequate treatments.
- For nearly two decades our company has led in the research and development of new therapies to treat MS, including the most prescribed oral treatment in the world.
- Now our research is driving revolutionary new MS treatments with the goal of reversing or even repairing damage caused by the disease.
- We are now applying our neurological expertise to solve some of most challenging and complex diseases of the brain, including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and ALS.
- As we uncover new insights into human biology, our company is employing cutting-edge technologies to discover potential treatments for rare and genetic disorders.
- Our company is revolutionizing biologic manufacturing, developing the industry’s most advanced plants and processes.
- This expertise is used to produce both original innovative therapies and bio similar that expand patient access to lower-cost medicines.
Our Corporate Citizenship
- The same intellectual discipline and passion that drives our science is reflected in our corporate citizenship, environmental sustainability, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- As a company, we are focused on improving science education and limiting the impact of our company on the environment.