Director, Program Management - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Provide Program Management leadership for the PAS R&D.
- Collaborate with the global business, platform leaders, and key functional leaders in the development of a robust product portfolio.
- Drive Front end design and execution of the program portfolio
- Initiate and direct product development programs for effective planning and execution to fulfill the PAS priorities and strategic plan.
- Select, develop, organize, motivate, and coordinate staff to effectively fulfill R&D objectives. Manage the HR pipeline, building the necessary capabilities and skills to execute the PAS business strategy and provide for effective program management leadership position succession.
- Ensure compliance with all local BD quality and regulatory policies, procedures, and practices through appropriate communication, training, and education of sound quality assurance and regulatory principles.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, federal, and BD safety regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Product development planning: Ensure quality and accuracy of integrated project plans encompassing all cross-functional activities.
- Product development execution: Provide oversight that results in successful timely delivery of product development projects.
- Budgeting: Develop detailed budgets in accordance with project and organization plans, and business objectives.
- Manage budget diligently and be accountable to perform to the budget.
- Resourcing: Align dedicated and shared resources cross-functionally to optimize and ensure success of the R&D programs.
- Technology transfer: Organize, engage, communicate and educate to ensure efficient and effective transition from research to development to manufacturing.
- Contract and partnership management: Identify best-in-class industry product development partners, establish business relationships, and negotiate development contracts to enhance organizational and execution excellence.
- Metrics: Define actionable metrics to measure program delivery performance against business objectives, monitor periodically and frequently to identify gaps quickly and to execute improvement opportunities.
Organization and Talent Development:
- Define and implement appropriate mix of skills and experience in accordance with the portfolio activities, financial requirements, and capability strategy.
- Associate talent development: Actively develop and mentor associates.
- Ensure development plans established for associates. Provide frequent feedback. Be accountable for their success.
- Recruiting and talent retention: Establish a high bar and actively recruit for recruiting leadership and technical talent.
- Identify long-term career paths to attract and retain the top organizational talent.
- Customer focus: Create a program management organization that has an advanced understanding of external and internal customers to effectively improve design, quality and execution of products/projects.
- Continuous learning: Develop an active learning organization that systematically adapts, is willing to take risks, and shares the critical lessons learned across the organization.
- Portfolio maps: Work with functional groups and business leadership to define and develop Technology and Product road maps for the PAS Business
- Sourcing strategy: Define and implement sourcing strategy that best leverages both internal and external competencies.
- Undergraduate degree in engineering. Advanced engineering degree and/or MBA highly desirable.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in engineering, project management, and personnel management, preferably in the medical device industry.
- Has demonstrated a successful track record of organizational development and delivering or executing products/projects successfully to market/business.
- Technical depth: understands the importance of utilizing fundamental engineering principles in product development and embeds best practices, critical thinking and deep product understanding to ensure quality and excellence in product development is achieved.
- Accountability: Has demonstrated strong and clear accountability for the team’s quality and execution performance.
- Communication: Has demonstrated a keen ability to conduct and encourage frequent formal and informal communication within the team to ensure full engagement, execution and efficiency.
- Influence and decision making: Intuitively and quickly assesses people and situations and acts accordingly. Demonstrates strong influential skills but remains open to others feedback and input, but is decisive and communicate reasons for decision.
- Inclusive work environment: Has promoted and leveraged diversity to achieve best outcomes. Ensured that all interested parties have had opportunities to influence and contribute to decisions and outcomes.
- Leadership courage: Demonstrated and promoted leadership courage by doing what is right. Engaged those who disagree and has persuaded or been persuaded. Instilled confidence in associates, platform leadership, functional leaders and customers.
- Cross-functional influence: Influenced other functional teams to ensure appropriate functional quality, direction, capacity and support. Communicated product development program plans regularly and has sought cross-functional alignment and input where necessary.
- Leadership team communication: Conducted regular communication with the cross-functional teams and leadership teams to ensure awareness of product development activities, and has allowed other teams to influence program direction, activities and strategy.
- Leadership team participation: Participated in businesses leadership meetings. Has informed leadership team of program activities, strategy and progress. Has also led or participated in appropriate business level initiatives and influenced the business strategy.
- Leadership and initiative: Influenced R&D activities and strategies and participated in R&D portfolio decision making, prioritization and resource analysis. Supported staff to dedicate sufficient focus to new initiatives.
- Demonstrated an ability to balance the needs of the core business as well as innovation efforts to satisfy the platform or business strategy.
- Demonstrated solid judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work within department/job-scope.
- Has demonstrated a tolerance for making mistakes and ensuring risks are managed effectively, but has an expectation of excellence.
- Has experience and encouraged constructive challenges within their organization.