Director, Policy Research Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Director, Policy Research, is responsible for investigating, strategizing and developing evidence that addresses Access challenges to Merck and policy decision-making customers. The position combines knowledge of research, market access and policy to clearly articulate the value proposition of our medicines and vaccines to governments, payers and health care providers. The Director must bring value assessments more directly before relevant decision-makers that influence the success of, and appropriate use of, our products. This work will entail forward-looking assessments and scenario planning to investigate how policy changes in various systems might influence the success of our business. Specifically, the Policy Research Director will be responsible, working cross-functionally, for directing and implementing studies that will inform policy dialogues with concrete impact on legislation, rules and standards for innovative medicines and vaccines.
The Director will also lead the Company’s responses to periodic reviews of therapeutic areas in the US specific to the Company’s portfolio. Unlike more formal HTA review systems, there are multiple institutions in the US that initiate therapeutic area, specific product, product class or clinical guideline reviews that impact the use of Merck’s medicines and vaccines (e.g. DERP, AHRQ, CMS, ICER, ASCO). The US reviews are most often shared passively—with a call for comments, but not via a directed notification to the Company. The Director will be responsible to monitor and identify any and all opportunities for the Company to comment and to organize appropriate scientific expert responses to these open inquiries. This role will include the development of a comprehensive internal reporting process appropriate to the level of impact to the Company.
The person in this role will be required to work across functions, geographies and levels within/outside the Company to continuously build knowledge and understanding of the market access policy conditions and the implications for our in-line and pipe-line products. The Policy Research Director will work with other internal and external stakeholders to assess policy/legislative changes’ impact on Company medicines and vaccines. Moreover, the research studies led by the Director will inform Company policy statements and positions for use externally. Knowledge of the kind of data available internally and externally, and knowledge of how that information must be presented for the policy-maker-as-customer will be a crucial to the success of the Policy Research role as well as the whole MPQR team.
- M.A. or Ph.D. degree in health economics, outcomes research or epidemiology.
- Minimum ten years’ pharmaceutical industry experience in a position with ex-US and/or global scope
- Strong leadership skills; ability to assert leadership in virtual teams without direct reporting lines;
- Internal consulting and influencing skills; client servicing skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to tailor communications materials to specific audiences; fluency in English
- Ability to work internationally, cross-culturally and cross-functionally to align perspectives and drive to agreed-upon goals
- Expert knowledge of HTA, pricing & reimbursement systems of USA and other key markets
- Expert understanding of relevant areas of policy debate, policy-making and policy-shaping
- Prefer health economics and outcomes research or health policy research advanced degree and experience
- Ability to build product knowledge quickly and effectively, as well as deep knowledge of the pharmaceutical product development process
- Expertise in addressing payer perspectives and integrating successfully access imperatives (e.g.5 years’ experience in market Access or similar functions for pharmaceutical industry)
- Excellent planning, problem solving, and time management skills
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Outcomes Research -Health Econ
Job Title:Dir, Outcomes Research
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Rahway
Other Locations: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Epidemiology, Clinical Research, Medical Research, Manager, Public Health, Healthcare, Management