Director of Development, Merck Production System Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Learning Director is responsible for serving as a trusted advisor to business leaders and stakeholders to enable the leader’s business goals and outcomes by accelerating the development of critical capabilities needed to drive business success through a productive and engaged workforce. S/he directs a team of Learning Partners and Learning Consultants to support the design and execution of a division/function’s learning and development strategy. S/he continuously maintains an understanding of key business priorities and processes, partners with key divisional stakeholders to identify performance needs and gaps, collaborates with Learning Support Services (LSS) teams on desired performance outcomes, if applicable, and provides support to key divisional stakeholders to achieve the desired performance objectives. This leader will build and maintain strategic business relationships, build sponsorship, and provide expertise to an integrated learning network. Success in this role depends on a candidate’s ability to provide strategic direction and guidance to Learning Partners and Learning Consultants, collaborate with key divisional stakeholders and LSS teams, and ensure agreed upon learning solutions support and drive desired outcomes.
- Manage a team of Learning Partners and Learning Consultants to support alignment of learning strategies with the strategic plans of the division or function
- Advise senior and mid-level business leaders on the implications of short and long-term decisions, strategies, and large-scale change efforts on employee learning and development in their respective business areas, and how those implications will affect sustainable business results
- Design/maintain performance consulting processes to capture business needs and required capabilities; align processes to existing organization models, as necessary
- Monitor and leverage performance results and recommend learning and development improvement opportunities, as appropriate
- Align learning strategies around identified needs and gaps. Coach business managers around “best fit” learning strategies while collaborating with the LSS teams to leverage existing and/or develop learning solutions to meet unique business requirements
- Partner with HR to provide learning and development expertise in support of the development and implementation of HR plans, programs, and tools to build and enhance organizational capability, as appropriate
- Plan and promote the understanding, application, and improvement of learning strategies and solutions to address talent gaps and needs
- Support the divisional / functional learning leader in strategic business planning around learning and development and to communicate the groups’ performance needs to appropriate learning teams
- Collaborate with other learning leaders to optimize talent and learning solutions to support performance improvement within the business unit while aligning with the over-arching strategic goals driven by the divisional / functional learning leader
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Preferred: Master’s Degree
- Minimum of 12 years of related experience, with minimum 6 years of leadership and management experience
- Business Acumen: Ability to engage with business leaders around business strategy, goals, and business outcomes, and make sound business decisions
- Leadership: Demonstrated skill in applying approaches, tools, and techniques to gain the cooperation and support of others; ability to lead by example and foster collaborative relationships
- Influencing: Advanced ability to partner, collaborate, and impact decisions at all levels within and outside the organization
- Creative Thinking: Demonstrated skill in applying tools and techniques for grasping new concepts, acquiring new ways of seeing things, and revising ways of thinking and patterns of behavior
- Interpersonal Relationships: Demonstrated skill in applying approaches, tools, and techniques for working with individuals and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner, including the ability to build and maintain critical networks and collaborative relationships
- Oral and Written Communications: Advanced ability to express oneself to provide information to others effectively and in a succinct manner; outstanding verbal, written, and executive level presentation abilities and interpersonal skills; ability to ask thoughtful questions to gain insights, listen, and understand other perspectives
- Coaching: Ability to encourage, motivate, and guide individuals and teams in learning and improving effectiveness
- Decision Making and Critical Thinking: Advanced ability to use a broad range of methods, assumptions, frameworks, and perspectives when solving problems and making decisions
- Planning: Tactical, Strategic: Advanced project planning and management experience, including the ability to contribute to operational (short term), tactical (1–2 years), and strategic (3-5 years) planning in support of the business plan
- L&D Policies, Standards, and Procedures: Knowledge of and ability to use industry and organization standards, procedures, and policies relevant to staff learning and development
- Adult Learning: Theory and Practice: Advanced experience in applying concepts and practices of adult learning to meet the dynamic needs of the business
- Learning Needs Analysis: Advanced experience in assessing competency gaps and identifying what people need to learn for successful individual and organizational performance
- Leadership in areas of learning, talent, HR, or comparable areas; experience in applicable technical/professional areas pertinent to the division / function served (e.g., R&D, manufacturing, sales/marketing, etc.)
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Business Consulting
Job Title:Dir, Business Consulting
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station West
Other Locations: NA-US-PA-West Point, NA-US-New Jersey, NA-US-Pennsylvania
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New Jersey
Job Segment: Industrial, Consulting, Manager, Outside Sales, Animal Health, Manufacturing, Technology, Management, Sales, Veterinary