Director, Network Strategy Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Director, Network Strategy represents Global Procurement on the Merck Manufacturing network restructuring strategy team and leads multiple manufacturing site divestitures concurrently to achieve the desired manufacturing footprint. The Director will lead a team responsible for a portfolio of multiple site disposition strategies for approval by Divisional executives, including chartering cross functional negotiation teams, developing and implementing site specific negotiation strategies to deliver breakthrough results. This position has the complexity and difficulty of working across divisions and regions, and requires strong collaboration and alignment with Human Resources, Finance, Legal, Supply Chain and Regional/Divisional Management. The position will also include leading network driven outsourcing of contract manufacturing services using the Supplier Performance Management Process which include significant cost reduction targets. Responsible for identifying and managing profit plan savings targets for global categories.
1. Category Scope – Direct responsibility for multiple site divestitures including on-going contract manufacturing services from acquiring company. Develop and implement business strategy to ensure delivery of desired business outcome and value capture targets. Indirectly responsible for Local and Regional procurement support.
2. Global Category Management - May support or lead Global Category Management teams to develop and implement strategic source plans for one or more categories of spend.
3. Sourcing Management – Uses the Supplier Performance Management Process to manage assurance of supply, quality, service, cost, innovation and regulatory compliance within Global or International category of spend, resulting in breakthrough strategies which optimize value and ensure appropriate risk management. Understands the Supplier Performance Management Process and how to apply required tools in the creation and implementation of source plans.
4. Proactive Cost Management - Achieves cost control, cost reduction, and cost containment targets, and adds value to area of expenditure through a strong total cost orientation.
5. Market Knowledge and Insight - Uses thorough market knowledge and data analysis to gain critical insights that drive the selection of Sourcing Strategies and continuous improvement activities.
6. Supplier Management and Conditioning - Responsible for building relationships with Global, International and Enterprise suppliers and managing supplier performance against business requirements using proven processes; ensures adequate inclusion of diversity suppliers in RFPs and contracts as applicable. Supports major Regional supplier relationships
7. Stakeholder Management and Business Sponsorship - Ensures appropriate stakeholders are identified and managed through stakeholder matrix. Engages stakeholders and partners to define and meet/exceed business requirements and identify and manage profit plan savings targets. Understands strategic business requirements at 1-3-5 year horizon. Build outstanding relationships with divisional and functional counterparts, including Merck Manufacturing, Research, and Human Health Divisions, Corporate Business Development, Corporate Finance, Operations, and Human Resources.
8. Contract Negotiation and Management - Once strategy is approved, personally leads the divestiture negotiations and contracting with the acquiring company’s executives. Negotiates at tactical and strategic levels to develop local, regional, global company contracts.
People Management: May be responsible for selection, development, retention and performance management of one or more sourcing professionals.
- Required: BS in Business, Finance, Engineering, Science or related field.
- Preferred: MBA or advanced degree and/or relevant certification.
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in strategic sourcing, business development, or related role, including Manufacturing / Contract Manufacturing of Pharmaceutical, Biological, or Consumer Care products.
- Experience in international business and pharmaceutical operations desirable.
- Knowledge of Procurement related business processes, including commercial negotiations and contracting.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Technical Procurement
Job Title:Dir, Procurement
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-West Point
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station, NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station West, NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Network, Manager, Engineer, Law, Pharmaceutical, Technology, Management, Engineering, Legal, Science