Director, Global Media Relations Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Director of Corporate Media Relations is the company lead on financial communications, M&A and crisis, and develops and executes media relations strategy to enhance and protect our corporate reputation. The scope covers a wide-range of opportunities and issues, including SEC reporting, investor and shareholder meetings, business development and M&A, litigation, HR/labor, corporate responsibility and reputation program. The Director participates actively in corporate media relations with the business and financial press, national news outlets, broadcast and key social channels. The Director will manage an Associate Director reporting to him/her and agency support, align seamlessly with full media relations team supporting product/pipeline portfolio and social strategy and channels, and work with others in Communications, Corporate Responsibility, Investor Relations, Finance and Legal.
Primary activities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop a comprehensive media relations strategy to support key corporate opportunities and issues
- Extend Merck’s media relationships and footprint with media targets reaching broader audiences that influence Merck’s reputation (beyond industry beat reporters)
- Serve as a spokesperson on key corporate issues in the media
- Identify and manage lead corporate agency to provide a “bench” to Director and Associate Director in corporate media for greater checks/balances on media reporting given importance and visibility to senior management and Board of Directors, and also allow for more proactive, opportunistic media outreach
- Work with leads in various corporate areas to ensure alignment with strategic objectives and preparedness for proactive or reactive media engagement (position statements and spokespeople on the ready)
- Manage contingency and crisis communications, particularly given high visibility from CEO, Executive Committee and Board of Directors
- Help extend corporate reputation efforts and ensure appropriate synergies with core reputation team, social media team and executive platform team
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor’s degree is Required -
Required Experience and Skills:
- 7 years’ experience in public relations and/ or media relations (direct media relations experience is preferred)
- Knowledge of media relations and ability to engage with key reporters (whether industry beat or beyond)
- Strong writing and oral communication skills
Deep working knowledge of all media channels: broadcast, print, social; and ability to identify and prepare for issues
- Experience in pharma and working knowledge of major corporate issues affecting pharma
- Strong leader who has a proven track record of working well at senior levels of business
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment, and adept at managing near and long-term needs
- Strong people and agency management skills
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Media Relations
Job Title:Dir, Global Communications
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Cokesbury
Other Locations: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd, NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Job Segment: Manager, Media, Law, Business Development, PR, Marketing, Management, Legal, Sales