Director, Business Development & Licensing, Search & Evaluation Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Boston/Cambridge Innovation Hub is a fully functional business development organization focused on driving deals with Boston-area biotechnology companies and academic centers and increasing the visibility and collaborative spirit within the Merck Boston and Cambridge sites.
The Director, Business Development, Search & Evaluation will be a highly experienced scientific prospector, responsible for finding, evaluating and championing opportunities for licensing, acquisition and/or collaboration in the New England region. The Director will also have responsibility for leading scientific evaluation teams to complete due diligence activities. The Director will be part of an energetic, cross-functional business development team responsible for getting deals completed and managing the portfolio of opportunities being prosecuted in the Cambridge Innovation Hub.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- • Acting as Merck’s spokesperson and scientific prospector for identifying new research collaborations, preclinical compounds, clinical compounds and/or technologies in Boston and the surrounding region through licensing, acquisition, collaborations, co-development agreements, and strategic alliances.
- Performing scientific evaluation of pre-clinical proof-of-concept human health licensing, collaboration and acquisition projects.
- Analyzing the full range of data to profile candidate partnering opportunities.
- Working with MRL scientific leadership in applicable Therapeutic Areas and line functions in setting licensing strategy.
- Guides the team that scientifically executes upon that strategy by leading the search and evaluation component of the overall licensing process.
- Leads the cross-functional scientific team who are responsible for due diligence and scientific negotiations/approvals on major licensing projects.
- Collaborates with Transactions team members, Alliance Managers and colleagues in the global BD&L organization to ensure alignment and to ensure proper input is received from subject matter experts across Merck.
The Director prospects in Boston and the surrounding region to identify new product opportunities in specific assigned human health therapeutic and technology areas. He/She identifies collaboration opportunities and platform technologies via interactions with research-based pharma companies, biotech companies, government agencies, and academic institutions. The Director establishes and maintains contacts with Research Heads, CEOs, and Heads of Business Development of outside companies and leading university scientists. He/She networks throughout MRL to promote Merck's entry into breakthrough scientific fields via the identification and evaluation of technologies in industry, academia, and government institutions.
The Director performs scientific analyses for pre-clinical proof-of-concept human health licensing and acquisition projects in Boston and the surrounding region. He/She analyzes and evaluates the full range of data to provide external product candidates in specific assigned therapeutic areas. The Director assesses and prioritizes organizations as potential candidates for strategic alliances, joint ventures, or for investment. The Director makes presentations on behalf of Merck at industry networking events, scientific conferences, and other venues. With scientific and BD&L leadership, he/she formulates a licensing strategy. The Director communicates Merck's licensing desires to internal and external stakeholders, while remaining open to identifying and advocating for new game-changing opportunities. He/she is responsible for prioritizing and managing the scientific assessment of potential licensing discoveries from internal and external opportunity channels to support new opportunities.
The position manages a large portfolio of complex projects and is responsible for timely responses to potential partners (large, mid-sized, and small pharma; biotech; academia; and government) and regular communication across the organization regarding the progress of partnering opportunities. The Director partners with transactions professionals and scientific colleagues to progress deals to completion. Throughout the search, evaluation, and execution process, the Director provides assessments and updates to Senior Management and ensures that there is a sufficient flow of quality opportunities to maintain the health of the Merck pipeline. He/She helps to coordinate the portfolio of Search & Evaluation projects and coordinates activities among colleagues in the global BD&L organization.
- Graduate degree (incl. Masters level) in a life sciences discipline
- At least 5 years of experience in Biotech or Pharmaceuticals industry,
with at least 2 years of applicable business development experience
- Broad-based scientific knowledge across human health therapeutic areas
- Understanding of basic science technologies as applied to medical
- Strong networking, organizational, administrative, analytic, computing
skill and sound judgment
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Ability to influence decisions or issues that have broad business
- MD or PhD in a life sciences discipline (MBA or JD a plus)
- 10 years of experience in Biotech or Pharmaceuticals industry
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Business Development
Job Title:Dir, Business Development
Primary Location: NA-US-MA-Cambridge
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Cambridge
Nearest Secondary Market: Boston
Job Segment: Manager, Medical, Business Development, Biotech, Management, Healthcare, Sales, Science