Supporting Medical/Scientific Information Needs of Scientific Experts and other Health Care Professionals :
Scientific Experts are individuals who are noted for their expertise in a particular area and as a result, have special needs for in-depth and cutting edge information.
Medical Liaisons act as the primary interface between Lilly and Scientific Experts within their defined geography, providing deep and advanced disease state and product expertise and facilitating the work of the Scientific Expert when it aligns with Lilly's mission. An important aspect of this work will be to connect Scientific Experts with other Lilly resources (e.g., Research Scientists, Clinical Research Physicians) whenever appropriate.
Maintenance of Scientific Expertise:
The ML will be expected to engage in continuous learning within the therapeutic area they represent, which includes:
- Utilizing appropriate resources to stay up do date with the scientific literature (e.g. conducting regular literature searches and library research);
- Attending external national and international scientific meetings;
- Meeting with peer group regularly for formal shared learning.
Facilitation of Research Initiatives:
Medical Liaisons provide support for research initiatives, including:
- Facilitating of interactions between medical personnel and external investigators;
- Providing recommendations for investigators based on the researcher’s interests and qualifications;
- Identifying opportunities for potential external research collaborations;
- Facilitating aspects of the Investigator-Initiated Trial (IIT) process;
- On a limited basis, participating in clinical trial execution, including study development, initiation and close-out activities.
Communication of Scientific Intelligence & Clinical Insight:
In an effort to fully understand external opinions, issues, and new science in the therapeutic areas in which Lilly operates, Medical Liaisons gather and communicate scientific and clinical insights. These insights are identified through the MLs’ interactions with Scientific Experts and other Health Care Providers through their attendance at medical conferences and through other appropriate means with the purpose of better inform Lilly’s strategic direction for research and commercialization.
These activities include:
- Identifying key scientific development, new research methodologies, therapy trends and/or other development in the therapeutic area;
- Sharing feedback from external experts including their perspectives on data and medical/scientific concepts, views of the general therapeutic area landscape and clinical experiences;
- Sharing learning from publications, external medical conferences and other appropriate channels internally.
Other Medical Activities:
While the focus of the Medical Liaison role is to support the medical/scientific information and research needs of Scientific Experts, Medical Liaisons may be involved in other activities (as determined by supervision), including:
- Conducting training on scientific/medical information content at Product Informational Speaker Training events;
- Responding to unsolicited questions in the medical information area of a medical conference exhibit booth;
- Participating in Consultant Meetings;
- Developing and delivering educational presentations in accordance with applicable procedures;
- Serving as authors for publications;
- Providing scientific training for sales, marketing, or other internal personnel;
- Providing recommendations to marketing for Scientific Experts and other external parties to serve as consultants, advisory board members or speaker training faculty based on specific criteria;
- On a limited basis, conducting medical review of promotional materials.
Management of Administrative Activities:
Medical Liaisons will effectively use approved resources to fulfil administrative, procedural, and legal requirements associated with addressing customer requests. These activities may include:
- Proficiency in computer skills and database entry (e.g. CRM, Microsoft Office, Ovid);
- Continual compliance with all procedural requirements of the role;
- Appropriate utilization of available resources.
Medical Liaisons are expected to apply the resource management skills needed to meet the requests of customers and the needs of the business unit, while exhibiting appropriate stewardship of their time and expense budget. 33336BR