This job is currently Archived,
Design of ultrasound integrated milliscale flow reactors for clogging prevention - Belgium
KU Leuven (company)
Posted on : 01 May 2017
- Despite the many successful applications of continuous flow reactors in the manufacturing of chemical compounds,one major drawback greatly limiting their use is their susceptibility to channel clogging for flows containing particulate matter.
- Ultrasound integration strategies have been developed for micro fluid devices, however the scale-up of this technology in continuous flow reactors to an industrially relevant scale has not been addressed so far.
- Hence, the aim of the offered PhD position is to design ultrasound integrated milli-scale flow reactors which prevent channel clogging and reduce wall fouling due to the presence of particles. These developed reactors will then be applied to nano particle synthesis and the crystallization of organic molecules.
- In addition to clogging prevention, hydrodynamic studies will identify the optimum flow and mixing regimes to obtain particles of specific size, size distribution, purity, and morphology.
- Furthermore,the student will be trained in the COSMIC graduate school, covering training unscientific, personal and complementary skills.
- The student will also perform secondment sat our academic and industrial partners.
- We are looking for highly motivated students, who can perform a Ph.D. project on this challenging topic.
- Requirement: Master degree in Chemical Engineering with strong overall marks
- Knowledge of crystallization, fluid dynamics and flow chemistry will be regarded as a plus
- Adequate English (written and verbal communication) for scientific interactions required
- Strong motivation is a must
- Willingness to work at interdisciplinary boundaries
The successful candidate will be offered a PhD position to become part of our international team with global research links to work towards a PhD.Funding can be provided for a period of 3 years.