This job is currently Archived,
Data Scientist - Belgium
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Posted on : 08 March 2017
- Our company is a leading institute in plant sciences.
- PSB has invested significantly in the development and operation of automated, high-throughput plant phenotyping systems to support plant research within the institute and in collaboration with external partners (plant_phenotyping).
- The Systems Biology of Yield group of Prof. Dirk Inzé is currently looking for a highly motivated data scientist to assist in the analysis of plant phenotyping data and the development of data analysis and management pipelines.
- Importantly, the position requires an interest in both plant growth, development and physiology, and in data analysis beyond the use of MsS Excel spreadsheets.
- Phenotyping data analysis, including running of image analysis scripts, data quality checks, and analysis and interpretation of results
- Contribute to the development of data analysis methods
- Preparation of data analysis scripts for their incorporation in automated analysis pipelines in the phenotyping platforms-associated web interface and database in collaboration with the ICT-developer
- Take an interest in plant phenotyping and in the management of plant phenotyping platforms and experiments
- Contribute to the insurance of 'good phenotyping practices' at all times
- Master degree in Bioscience engineering, Biology or a related field, with a clear interest and skills in data analysis
- Ddemonstrated skills in the use of R; part of the selection procedure will involve a practical test in R script running and development
- Experience in image analysis, and in the development (programming) of image analysis methods, is an asset
- Experience in plant phenotyping is considered advantageous
- Good analytical thinking, a critical mind set, scientific rigour
- Problem-solving, positive and hands-on-mentality
- Motivated and committed, ability to perform under pressure
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- Excellent research infrastructure in an international scientific environment with great opportunities for further development of professional skills
- Full time employment for 1 year, with the potential to be extended based upon evaluation
- The earliest start date for the selected candidate is 3rd April 2017 (or upon agreement)