Damage detection and identification in composites combining vibro-acoustic signals and analysis (ref. DETECTIV) - Belgium
- This research is driven by the high interest of industry to develop novel nondestructive testing (NDT) methods to detect defects in complex composite parts in a limited inspection time.
- Classical NDT methods often rely on thermal imaging techniques and on ultrasound. Within this PhD project, vibro-acoustic signals will be exploited to detect and identify damage in composites.
- The goal is the development of a technique, which is very complementary to the high frequency methods and allows global and cheap inspection.
- The main hypothesis made is that the redundant information of vibration and acoustics combined with an efficient and accurate numerical model allows to identify defects.
- The PhD candidate will focus on the development of two different vibro-acoustic methods for damage detection in composites:
- (i) exploiting guided wave modes in extended structures and exploiting the dispersion relation of waves in a solid material,
- (ii) relying on Time Reversal Methods, exploiting the principle that, as long as the medium is non-dissipative, the response of an excitation measured at a certain point in the medium can be time-reversed (the measured signal is emitted backwards) and it will converge at the source location.
- In this PhD, numerical models of increasing complexity will be developed and supported by experimental campaigns.
- All candidates must be fluent in spoken and written English. The R&D is highly multidisciplinary.
- An ideal candidate has an M.Sc. in engineering (e.g. (vibro-)acoustics, solid-mechanics, physics).
- Knowledge of numerical modelling, programming languages and signal processing is a strong advantage.
- Candidates get the opportunity to perform this work as part of a PhD study.
- All members of the network are equal opportunity employers, both female and male candidates are invited to apply.
- Our company offers to the selected candidate a stimulating and ambitious research environment which is embedded in the DNA of the region, a premier destination for Health, High-Tech and Creativity and considered an extremely nice place to live and work.
- To assist Fellows in matters of work permits, visas, living,mobility, housing, our company has the International Admissions Office with dedicated Officers which offers new colleagues HR, Recruitment and Career Management support.