Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
This position within the Biochemical Engineering & Structure department at Merck Research Laboratories (Kenilworth NJ USA) will support drug discovery through the use of atomic resolution single particle cryo-EM to determine the structure of therapeutically important targets. The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of the single particle cryo-EM process, from sample preparation and data collection through 3-D reconstruction and will work in collaboration with medicinal and computational chemists The successful candidate will also work closely with molecular biologists and protein biochemists and will have access to automated cloning, expression, and crystallization technologies.
Productive and collaborative interactions with other members of the global, cross-functional department are required. There is an expectation for periodic travel to other locations. Cooperative and collaborative use of internal expertise and resources will be essential to success. The position requires active interaction with the external scientific community to continually improve scientific understanding, including presentations at national or international meetings.
Consistently cited as a great place to work, Merck employs talented people who discover, develop, manufacture, and market a wide range of vaccines and medicines to address unmet medical needs. Each of us is joined by an extraordinary sense of purpose — bringing Merck’s finest achievements to people worldwide. The Merck Kenilworth campus is located within commuting distance from NYC. This close proximity allows for close interactions with the quickly expanding high resolution single particle cryo-EM community as well as the structural biology field at large, giving easy access to the latest developments in the field.
- Candidates for this position must have a Ph.D.
1. PhD degree with at least 2 years postdoctoral training in cryo-EM.
2. Demonstrated experience in a broad range of activities for atomic resolution single particle cryo-EM, including sample preparation, data collection, image processing & 3-D reconstruction.
3. Excellent communication skills (written, presentation, and oral) that enhance team-based progress is required. Application of those skills both within and outside the department to ensure the maximum understanding of program status for therapeutic area project teams and management is required.
4. Demonstrated potential to develop project management skills and identify/develop new areas of scientific expertise in cryo-EM.
5. Ability to work effectively and flexibly within timelines.
6. Ability to prepare peer-reviewed publications.
1. Experience with the cryo-EM microscope setup, operations and maintenance
2. Experience with hardware and software related to EM methods or experience with other electron microscopy techniques (for example SEM or tomography)
3. Experience with biophysical and functional characterization methods (e.g. SPR, thermal shift and calorimetric assays) to guide construct design and optimization of solution conditions for successful structural outcomes
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job Title:Sr. Scientist, Chemistry
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Hazardous Materials: Biochemistry and chemistry lab reagents
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Chemistry, Biochemistry, Medical, Scientific, Scientist, Science, Healthcare, Engineering