Corporate Counsel, Contracts - United States
- The Corporate Counsel, Contracts is an integral member of the Legal & Compliance Department who works with other members of the department, other departments within the company and with company’s customers and vendors to manage the company’s legal contracting function.
- The Corporate Counsel, Contracts will be highly organized, solutions- and customer service-oriented, pragmatic and proactive in his/her approach to contracting and able to work both collaboratively and autonomously.
- Lead the legal contracting function in the United States, with the ability to manage, develop and support junior lawyers and non-lawyers in contract-related matters
- Draft, review and negotiate standard and non-standard agreements customary to a fast-growing global commercial-stage pharmaceutical company, collaborating with and supporting other attorneys in the department with responsibility for specific functions, products and product candidates with their contracting needs
- With the legal contracting team, oversee the creation and maintenance of contract templates, playbooks, SOPs
- Build strong and transparent relationships with internal clients, ensuring that the contracting process generates positive client experiences and goodwill that will form the foundation for productive and lasting partnerships
- Continually improve the efficiency and effectiveness of legal contract support within the company while maintaining the quality and consistency of contracts across the organization, following all applicable best practices, processes and procedures
- Support major transactions, including M&A and other business development transactions, as appropriate.
- Willingly assist Legal & Compliance Department colleagues with their projects and activities to contribute to a collegial atmosphere and to balance workloads
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- At least five years of combined experience in-house and/or with a national law firm; working extensively with a variety of contracts and with at least two years in-house experience at a pharmaceuticals company or in the life sciences department of a national law firm with significant direct pharmaceutical experience
- Exemplary drafting skills
- Experience effectively managing people
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Self-starter; able to work with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to collaborate and function well in a team environment
- Outstanding attention to detail
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- JD degree; licensed to practice law (California preferred)
Description of Physical Demands
- Occasional mobility within office environment.
- Routinely sitting for extended periods of time.
- Constantly operating a computer, printer, telephone and other similar office machinery.
Description of Work Environment
- Work indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature changes.
- Frequent computer use at workstation.
- May move from one work location to another occasionally.
- Responsibilities may require a work schedule that may include working outside of “normal” work hours, in order to meet business demands.
- Occasional public contact requiring appropriate business apparel.