Continuous Improvement Engineer - Fermentation - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Our company Nutrition & Health is a $3.5 billion business and is a global leader in the food industry addressing the world’s challenges in food by offering a wide range of sustainable, bio-based ingredients and advanced microbial diagnostic solutions to provide safer, healthier and more nutritious food.
- The range of food ingredients and solutions provided through the global network of food scientists and technologist in our company help provide enhanced bio-protection, an improved nutritional profile, and better taste and texture with greater cost efficiency and lower environmental impact, meeting the needs of manufacturers of food, beverages and dietary supplements.
- Our company is currently seeking an Industrial Bio-process Engineer who will support multiple Bio-process areas that will utilize Six Sigma, Lean, change management, and other process improvement methodologies.
- The Six Sigma Black Belt Process Engineer leads teams to upgrade processes and products that may range from incremental improvements to major technology changes. In this position, the main target is to increase the safety and productivity of our manufacturing assets, optimize costs of the plant through process and technology improvements.
- The successful candidate will develop improved process strategies, process safety, yields, plant capacity and uptime performance.
- May act as technology guardian for a particular unit and/or leverages technical competency across sites.
- Generates new technology applications. Interacts with internal and external organizations. Mentors other engineers/chemist and assists in operations training.
The essential role and responsibility for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead improvement projects that focus on defect reduction or opportunity improvements to achieve increased earnings via cost reduction, productivity improvement, quality and reliability improvements.
- Co-manage implementation of new processes/products and exploring new technology in the area of Probiotics Cultures production as bio process technical expert
- Manage the plant process capability measurement, evaluation programs
- Lead trouble shooting identification and problem solving in the plant for process and quality issues as a resource for manufacturing
- Acts in compliance with all company policies including, but not limited to: Quality, Safety, Food Safety, Environmental, GMPs, and HACCP
- Accountable for completion of projects that deliver measurable results that are financially validated.
- Identify, define and lead projects to completion with functional, site, business and manufacturing teams.
- Train and mentor Green Belts and assist with projects as necessary to facilitate successful project completion.
- Provide leadership and direction for the application of Six Sigma methodologies.
- Develop capability, buy-in and support for Six Sigma processes in the organization.
- Resource teams to identify, define, implement and drive the completion of projects.
- Analyze batch records and quality results and monitor consistency of operations by using appropriate database and statistical tools; propose and implement corrective actions
- Participate in GAPP process, may lead local plant projects, participate in economic evaluation of the projects to allow proper prioritization, participate in evaluation and validation of changes
- Act as a resource to monitor industrial trials (sampling; follow up, gather information)
- Translate and convert process instructions from innovation in local quality system
- Update bottleneck map and capacity – work within site KPIs
- Support and continuously improve existing Process Safety Management program and supporting the site management in implementation and management of program and associated processes
- Manage the plant process capability measurement, evaluation programs and troubleshooting actions
- Co-manage the industrialization phase for new product / new process additions in collaboration with R&D scientists and manufacturing
- Bachelors/Masters of Science Degree in Biotechnology, Bio-engineering or chemical engineering
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in bio process engineering, process development laboratory/Pilot Plant is required.
- Experience in Bio-industrial fermentation production environment
- Six Sigma Black Belt Certification is desired. Lean practitioner certification, a plus.
- Project management, leadership and mentoring capability.
- Ability to recognize opportunity for improvement, lead change and deliver results.
- Effective communication and time management skills.
- Capability to develop and apply statistical and computer skills.
- Ability to coach influence, negotiate and network with numerous teams as well as work independently when needed.
- Manufacturing, process technology, maintenance and reliability experience.
- Innovation and creativity in problem solving and ability to apply proven methodologies
- Sensitivity for dynamic business needs with the ability to accept and drive organizational change.
- Occasional travel