Computational Modeler/ Programmer - Spain
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
The Sharpe lab focuses on the incredible process of how millions of cells control their decisions and movements during embryo development, to create intricate organised tissues and organs such as hearts or hands. This phenomenon can be seen as a form of distributed information-processing, where the gene regulatory circuits, which are identical in every cell of the organism, allow cells to integrate multiple signals from their neighbors to decide: which movements to make, which cell types to differentiate into and which communication signals to send out in return.
We have had recent success in starting to understand this process for limb development, through a systems biology approach which tightly integrates experimental data with computer modelling, demonstrating that:
- finger patterning is achieved by a Turing reaction-diffusion system of interacting molecular signals
- this molecular system appears to be conserved from fish to mammals
- we can reverse-engineer a gene circuit that specifies cell position along the proximo-distal axis
- We are now seeking another computer modeler to join the group, to implement and use software for efficient exploration of how 3D gene expression patterns regulate each other, and control the distribution and orientation of active cellular behaviors.
- The candidate should have strong experience in computer modelling, and ideally in parallel processing such as CUDA on GPUs.
- Experience in any of the following will be beneficial: agent-based modelling, gene regulatory circuits, 2D and 3D mesh generation and manipulation, data-visualization, optimization and parameter estimation.
- The Sharpe lab is interdisciplinary, and the candidate will have the opportunity to work closely with experimental while developing their research project.
- Strong programming skills
- Experience in computer modelling (finite element methods, networks, circuit dynamics)
- Experience in agent-based modelling – ideally of biological systems
- Experience with high-performance computing with GPUs and CUDA or OpenCL
- Systems Biology and gene regulatory networks
- Optimization and parameter estimation
- Data visualization in 2D and 3D
- 3D mesh generation, analysis, transformation, morphometrics
- The ideal candidate will have enthusiasm and/or experience in developmental biology.
Duration: Till the end of the project with an estimated end date of the 31st of December 2018
Starting date: Immediate hiring
- We offer work in a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, providing the successful applicant with unique opportunities to develop a strong technical portfolio.
- Our company offers and promotes a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation.