This job is currently Archived,
Collaborating industrial robots for Computer Tomography metrology - Belgium
KU Leuven (company)
Posted on : 01 May 2017
- X-ray Computed Tomography is increasingly used in industry for performing quality control tasks that were hitherto impossible due to inaccessibility of the features concerned.
- However, a much wider application field can still be envisaged if limitations due to scanning and processing speed as well as due to rigid imaging setups can be overcome.
- In this context, the PhD research will concentrate on the development of flexible robotic CT systems, using e.g. collaborating robots.
- Since accurate and repeatable positioning and orienting of the X-ray source and detector are required, you will develop and test procedures to improve path tracking accuracy (which is typically only ca. 1 mm) and ensure a global reference frame for the collaborating robots.
- Moreover, you will develop optimal path trajectories in order to minimize the measurement uncertainties of the obtained flexible X-ray CT models.
- You are the holder of a master's degree in Engineering Technology, Engineering Science, Computer Science or equivalent.
- You have a critical attitude and perseverance to participate in research projects.
- You have a strong analytic mind that is able to translate mathematical constraints in to practical considerations.
- You preferably have expertise in industrial robot programming and/or control.
- You can work independently and proactively, you have a sense of order and you are accurate and stress resistant.
- You are analytical, results-oriented and student centered.
- You will assist in the education of the program in Engineering Technology by cooperating in projects, exercise sessions and lab sessions.
- You have good communication skills (written and spoken) in English. Knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
- We offer a challenging engineering job within a running SBO project in collaboration with others research partners combined with an attractive salary package.
- We offer a PhD position in a stimulating and multi-disciplinary environment and with a strong industry network.