Clinical Portfolio Manager, Corporate Clinical Development - United States
The key responsibilities of this position is development and implementation of best practices for project and portfolio management of projects/programs within the CCD organization/portfolio.
This will be accomplished through interaction with Business facing Program Managers, Clinical Project Managers/Clinical Study Managers and other key stakeholders to create clinical study project plans, track progress and burn rates, keep plans up to date and publish results, create and present management reports on project outcomes and status.
This position will also be responsible for ensuring that there are active project plans for all CCD projects and will be responsible for helping associates to learn and adopt Project and Portfolio management approaches and tools/technologies.
A key deliverable will be the development and implementation of standardized reports to include dashboard project/portfolio health reporting, resource forecasting and tracking, budget development and tracking, and scope change management. Portfolio prioritization approaches and tools that align with the business strategies and priorities is also an area of responsibility.
The individual in this role will provide both verbal and written communications regarding project/program/portfolio status, risks and issues to internal and external stakeholders as required. Working with the internal CCD stakeholders, this position will oversee training and communications related to project/portfolio management and present on the projects/programs/portfolio to various audiences. This individual will also ensure compatibility and consistency with existing and planned BD enterprise PPM tools and standards.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and implements clinical portfolio and project management processes, practice and tools and project/portfolio reports/dashboards. Assists in the development and creation of project plans for all projects undertaken by CCD organization using PPM tools and provide training/coaching/mentoring to those learning Project Management approaches/tools.
- Develops and implements resource forecasting and tracking process, practice and tools as well as resource consumption mechanisms as it relates to supporting the clinical projects and portfolio.
- Develops and implements expense budget management process, practices and tools and assists others with tracking against planned budgets.
- Creates harmonized/standardized project management reports and presentations to keep CCD organization and management up to date on schedule, scope changes and deliverable status of the overall portfolio. Establishes and tracks key performance indicators/metrics of the portfolio.
- Assesses processes and practices for improvement opportunities and supports continuous improvement initiatives to ensure high quality, compliance and gain organizational efficiency.
- May manage associates in support of project and portfolio activities and analytics.
- May perform other duties as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree is required. Advanced degree is preferred (eg, MBA, MS)
- Project Management Certification preferred. Six Sigma and/or Lean Leader certification preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of Clinical Research Program and Clinical Project /Portfolio management experience
- Minimum 3 years management experience including mentoring/coaching and performance management
- Experience working in medum/large Clinical Development/Research function with medical device and/or combination drug/device clinical development
- Desired: History working within a shared services organization.
- Able to travel both domestic and international estimated at 20-30%
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Able to define a portfolio of work and by working with othes direct and manage resources to meet schedules and goals.
- Able to provide solutions to issues of diverse scope where analysis of situation or data requires evaluation of a variety of factors, including an understanding of current business, medical, and regulatory trends. Anticipates risks and potential problems including situations with ambiguity using available data and information, assess impact and develop and implement risk mitigation/corrective or preventatiive action plans.
- Capable of successfully managing projects and working with teams across geographies.
- Recognized as technical or subject matter expert in one or more areas related to clinical research, project or portfolio management
- Holds an in-depth knowledge of applicable regulations and international regulations as they apply to role and responsibilities. Knowledge level is sufficient to mentor/teach/interpret regulations / standards, and to lead internal teams to generate new procedures or revise existing procedures and/or practices and systems as needed for process improvement and/or compliance.
- Able to create complex, coherent, professional documentation and correspondence including formal written reports/documents for distribution and develop and deliver training programs in area of responsibility to both large and small groups.
- Seeks, analyzes and proposes opportunities for improvement (cost, cycle time, quality, etc.) that are complex or involve multiple organizational areas. Analyzes feasibility and participates in or leads development, execution, or monitoring of implementation plan.
- Ability to challenge the status quo and champions new initiatives. Act as a catalyst for change, engages others, and manages implementation effectively. Able to build consensus, support colleagues, set a tone of collaboration within teams, resolve issues among Associates. Able to develop, articulate and act upon a strategic vision. Serves a model to others through their high level of credibility, strong work ethic, and recognized ability to complete high quality deliverables in a timely manner.
- Able to formulate long term plans and makes decisions for unit/function and participates in long term planning within the unit/function.
- Serves as a mentor to peers and other associates within BD across functions and creates an environment of constructive feedback, supporting others to achieve their goals and encouraging them to accept developmental assignments.
- Able to manage and grow a single subfunction, with supervisory responsibility for Associates within the function.