Responsible for establishing and carrying out procurement policies and procedures to assure the timely acquisition of quality materials, supplies, and equipment in a cost effective manner.
- These positions may interface with cross-functional departments: Suppliers, Customer Service, Planning, Receiving, Inventory, Shipping, Finance, Manufacturing, Sales, Trade Compliance
- Act as liaison between suppliers and organizational departments by meeting with suppliers and manufacturers' representatives to discuss, develop, or revise purchase contracts, to review product lines, to check order status and to discuss the suitability of price and the product to the needs of the organization.
- Develop a system to maintain files of suppliers' catalogs, business directories, supplier names, contract purchase orders, and price lists.
- Develop and maintain suppliers' bid files.
- Forecast needs for goods and services and establishes a schedule of delivery.
- Maintain and report data supporting cost reduction, supplier performance and quality improvement programs.
- May guide and train staff/student employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work; may participate in the recruitment of volunteers, as appropriate to the area of operation.
Associate degree in Business or Science discipline from a two-year college or technical school OR High school diploma purchasing experience
- 1-5 years of purchasing experience preferred; Science industry background is a plus.
- OR if High School Diploma - Three years purchasing experience is required.
- Preferred industry experience from medical industry, pharma industry or even food industry
- SAP experience is required
- Microsoft Office - Expert level of MS Excel & MS Word is a must
- Prefer cold chain experience (shelf-life) is highly preferred
- Strong knowledge of SAP functionality
- Strong knowledge of MRP (Material Planning Systems) such as Reorder Point Planning
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a wide range of co-workers and suppliers
- Demonstrate strong conflict resolution skills when appropriate
- Ensure adequate and timely response to purchasing needs at prices and quality acceptable to the organizationUnderstanding and use of material planning and procurement functionality of an ERP system, preferably SAP
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to support the use of Microsoft Office
- Understanding and utilization of Trade Compliance, transportation and Regulatory Requirements for Import
- Knowledge of and ability to follow ISO practices
- Knowledge of terminology related to the procurement, shipment, and delivery of items
- Knowledge of the grades and qualities of a variety of materials, supplies and equipment
- Knowledge of the sales terms and discounts available to purchasers
- Ability to strong attention to detail
- Ability to analyze purchasing requests and orders
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with suppliers and manufacturers' representatives in regard to purchase contracts and prices
- Ability to evaluate the capability of suppliers in meeting product demands of the organization
- Ability to implement and practice such procurement policies and procedures that will assure overall economic purchasing in the organization
- Ability to prepare and evaluate bids, requests for quotes, and proposals
- Ability to secure quality materials at prices that are reasonable and acceptable to the organization
- Ability to skillfully and tactfully negotiate with suppliers to ensure adequate and timely response to purchasing needs
Languages Fluent spoken and written English