- Reviews, comprehends and complies with all SOPs and quality assurance standards. Reviews, comprehends and complies with Animal Welfare Act, the ‘Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals,’ Vivarium Policies and Guidelines and other pertinent regulations and policies
- Assists with development of husbandry protocols as needed
- Uses established database systems to manage and track breeding
- Performs animal husbandry and animal care support services (e.g. providing feed, water, clean cages, and daily observations of each animal)
- Receives, examines and properly houses incoming animal shipments
- Cleans and sanitizes animal rooms, support areas
- Disposes of waste and animal carcasses
- Provides environmental enrichment appropriate to the species housed
- Provides other minor technical support (e.g. restraining animals, collecting blood, performing injections, clinical treatments) as directed
- Utilize database for animal recordkeeping, including but not limited to, animal housing and study support
- Manage transgenic breeding colonies; including, but not limited to, weans, tag and tail for genotyping, tattooing, ear punches, set-up matings, timed matings and checking for copulatory plugs, monitoring breeding performance
- Enter data from breeding colonies into established databases
- Assist Supervisory staff with special projects
- Provide advanced research specific support to special projects as needed
- Communication with the attending Veterinarian as needed to obtain prescribed treatments.
- Communication with Supervisors, Associates, and researchers regarding required treatment for animals based on veterinary recommendation.
- Maintain and improve tracking of animal health, and detailed records, in order to identify trends in illnesses and treatments.
- Maintain and record appropriate data for all duties completed
- Assist with receiving, stocking, and maintenance of all supply inventories
- Maintain effective lines of communication with investigator regarding colony and support duties
- Actively interact with customers as required to solve customer requests, inquiries, and complaints and to provide technical assistance when applicable to job description
- Comply with safety policies and procedures and MSDS guidelines, including those related to biohazards and radioactive substances
- Maintain required attendance level and adherence to work schedule in accordance with required staffing levels in order to ensure that assigned duties are completed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Education: High School Diploma and a minimum of two years of post-high school education.
- Experience: Minimum of 3 years experience working in a research animal facility with a minimum of 2 years managing rodent breeding colonies and performing minor technical procedures including, but not limited to injections and bleeding of rodents.
- Certification/Licensure: AALAS LAT certification preferred. Achievement of ALAT certification required within one year of hire.
Equal Employment Opportunity