Bioinformatics Scientist Job - United States
The Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) Exploratory Science Center (ESC) Cambridge, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving early discovery research. Co-located with Merck’s Cambridge Innovation Hub, the ESC’s disease-area-agnostic research agenda fosters hands-on collaboration between our scientists and external academic and biotech researchers to access and explore the most promising emerging science.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create a fast-paced, nimble and flexible environment of mutual respect, creativity, invention and teamwork. With access to Merck’s proven global R&D organization, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
We are seeking an innovative, PhD level computational scientist to join the Merck Exploratory Science Center (ESC) in Cambridge, MA.
- Become part of a creative and flexible team that will investigate host/pathogen interactions and the influence of the microbiome on host immunity and immune responses to novel vaccines, with the ultimate goal of delivering novel therapeutics to address significant unmet medical need in infectious disease, as well as broader indications.
- Sit at the critical interface between genetic discovery and functional biology and will work with a team of biologists to perform analyses of genetic and genomic data, with particular emphasis on data analysis of meta’omics (metagenomics, metatranscriptomics, metaproteomics and metametabolomics) of the microbiome/virome in different contexts.
- Must have a proven track record across a wide range computational biologic methods, ranging from computational systems biology through computational evolutionary analyses.
- Given the multi-disciplinary nature of the position, very strong collaboration and communication skills
- Required: PhD in Computer Science or related discipline
- Minimum of (2) years Postdoctural and/or equivalent Industrial experience
- Programming experience (perl, python etc.)
- Database experience such as SQL
- 10% Travel
- Research experience with the microbiome
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Primary Location: NA-US-MA-Cambridge
Job Type: Full Time
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 2
Hazardous Materials: Yes
Relocation Provided: Domestic (within country) and International
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Cambridge
Nearest Secondary Market: Boston
Job Segment: Scientific, Medical, Biotech, Genetics, Scientist, Engineering, Healthcare, Science