Autonomous indoor monitoring of elderly people using a mobile platform - Belgium
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Video surveillance is an omnipresent technology when it comes to enhancing security and safety in the public environments.
- In a healthcare environment it is an attractive technology to collect relevant physiological parameters 24 hours a day.
- A fixed video surveillance system however has several important disadvantages like camera occlusion and technical limitations, mainly in range and field of view.
- This project proposes a new approach to overcome these drawbacks by imposing an autonomous mobile surveillance platform that enables to monitor a person.
- A low cost mobile platform needs to be designed that enables autonomous battery charging and provides extension sockets for various sensors.
- For this purpose an existing open robot base will be selected that allows custom made hardware and software extensions.
- Important features are the integration of active sensors (that are able to change orientation) and a flexible battery charging points.
- Surveillance sensors (camera, temperature, sound, air quality, ...) will be selected and integrated in the platform.
- Important features are:a reasonable cost, degrees of freedom and an open software interface.
- A new path planning and navigation algorithm will be developed to ensure that the sensors collect the necessary information while avoiding collisions.
- The collected data will be processed to monitor physiological parameters (movement,position, eating, sleeping, fall, …) of the person.
- The quality of the processed information will be fed back to the navigation/path planning algorithm to improve the sensor perception.
- The system is designed based on a participatory, user-centered design process.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or an equivalent university-level degree and relevant experience
- Strong and demonstrated computer programming skills
- Experience and/or keen interest in machine learning
- A creative mind
- An interest to engage in a participatory, user-centered design process
- Ability to work as an independent and flexible researcher in interdisciplinary teams
- Strong English writing and speaking skills