Automation Project Engineer - United States
- Our company is a leader in plant biotechnology, is seeking an innovative, customer-focused and motivated individual to join a global automation engineering team dedicated to the design, development, integration, and support of research laboratory automation and custom engineered solutions for company’s Research & Development laboratories.
- The qualified candidate would work in close partnership with members of our scientific staff and other automation engineers in order to lead our efforts to design and construct automated solutions.
- This candidate will also serve as the strategic automation partner for the global Trait Discovery research area, responsible for initiating and driving automation solutions and technology that enable screening of new traits and biologicals.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Primary automation engineering partner for the research laboratories and greenhouse.
- Initiate and drive automation strategy, projects and process improvements for the global Trait Discovery research area, including technology scouting, concept development and solution portfolio planning. Member of the research area leadership team.
- Design, modify, integrate and support off-the-shelf and customized laboratory instruments and equipment for biotechnology and analytical focused research.
- Collaborate closely with the research organization, other automation engineers and vendors to develop insights into the core science, equipment, processes, and trends.
- Coordinate testing and deployment of new systems, including user and support staff training.
- Provide advanced support for systems in collaboration with outside vendors and support staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science (biology, chemistry, genomics) or engineering (biomedical, mechanical, or chemical) with 3 to 5 years of applicable experience in research lab automation environment is required; or equivalent amount of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience with lab automation instrumentation, including robotic liquid handlers, vision systems and highly integrated automated systems. Technical experience in the areas of laboratory automation and robotics, software development for instrument control, mechanical systems, programmable logic controllers (PLC) and other electrical control systems, is important.
- Experience in evaluating and implementing process improvement initiatives and systems in a research environment
- Proven ability to effectively communicate remotely with management, vendors, and other Automation Engineers.
- Technical knowledge of biotechnology, especially agricultural biotechnology or plant breeding, is also helpful.
- Candidates must demonstrate outstanding creativity and exhibit excellent organizational skills, show proven competency in time management, decision making, and demonstrate the ability to work independently or as a team leader.
- Candidates must also possess strong problem solving, written and verbal communication, and collaboration skills.