This job is currently Archived,
Associate Scientist - United Kingdom
Charles River (company)
Posted on : 24 May 2017
- For nearly 70 years, our company employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe.
- Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
- We are seeking an experienced Associate Scientist – Stem Cell for our Discovery Sciences site,
- The Associate Scientist – Stem Cell will perform standard laboratory procedures with human Embryonic Stem Cells (hESC) and induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) and assist other lab members with studies. Studies will include: 1) general growth, maintenance and differentiation of stem cell lines; 2) gene manipulation of these stem cells with silencing or over expression constructs; and 3) characterization of resultant phenotype (by molecular and imaging techniques).
- Procedures will include light microscopy of cell lines as well as basic molecular and cellular biology techniques (cell transfection, immunocytochemistry, tissue culture and maintenance of biochemistry equipment).
- Other tasks, such as routine cell culture of non-stem cell cultures and assisting with general lab organization procedures will be undertaken.
The following are minimum requirements related to the Associate Scientist – Stem Cell position.
- A basic understanding of good aseptic technique
- Confidence in working in a clean environment
- A background in cell / tissue culture is desirable but not essential as training will be given
- Previous experience of working with embryonic or pluripotent stem cells and neuronal cells would be an advantage
- Experience at characterization and/or molecular manipulation of stem cells would be an advantage
- A flexible working attitude
- Attention to detail
- Good communication and teamworking skills
- Must be able to work as part of a team but also have the confidence to work alone
About Discovery Sciences
- Discovery from our company is industry-proven in the successful development of novel therapies, with over 320 patents and 74 preclinical drug candidates delivered to our sponsors in the past 17 years.
- Backed by more than 650 scientists, our comprehensive, integrated portfolio employs the latest technology and platforms to provide chemistry, biology, and pharmacology services that support clients from the earliest stages of hit identification all the way through to IND.
- Our client-focused, collaborative approach creates true partnerships that anticipate challenges, overcome obstacles, and move us forward together on the journey of getting new drugs to market.
- For nearly 70 years, our employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies.
- When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe.
- Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform.
- In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
- Our company is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development.
- Our company also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities.
- Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
- With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges.
- Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
- We are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives.
- Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe.
- We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Our company is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet