This job is currently Archived,
Associate Scientist III, Protein Chemistry - United States
Posted on : 12 June 2017
- The Physical Biochemistry department is seeking an independent and highly motivated Protein Chemist to join the Small Molecule Protein Sciences group (SMPS) at the Senior Associate Scientist level. The SMPS is responsible for providing high quality protein reagents for small molecule targets to the Bioassay group and the Structural biology groups.
- The successful candidate must possess a broad set of skills, including Molecular Biology, expression and purification of proteins and multi-protein complexes from E.coli and insect cells. Special emphasis will be given to candidates with the ability to carry out small and large scale purification.
- The selected individual will have the opportunity to work in cross-functional teams and should be able to clearly communicate their results and accomplishments to a broad audience at team meetings and in written reports.
- The selected candidate should have at least 5 years in industry, purifying a variety of proteins.
- Must be an expert at writing own protocols for multi-step automated purifications and be completely independent in protein purification.
- Expertise in using Akta Express and Avant systems or equivalent instruments is a definite requirement.
- Working knowledge on parallel, high throughput approaches to protein purification approaches will be essential.
- This should be applicable to small and large scale purification.
- Must be adept at following protocols and should have the scientific experience to modify it when the situation arises.
- Knowledge of protein expression from a wide range of organisms will be considered a big advantage.
- Working knowledge of construct design and basic molecular biology (especially PCR) will be advantageous.
- The candidate should have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Clear scientific presentation skills at project and team meetings are a must.
- Must be excellent in organization skills.
- The candidate is expected to document all aspects of the experiments performed and be able to conduct independent research to collect and archive all necessary information from the literature.
- Innovative approaches to problem solving will be highly valued.
Bachelors or Masters in Biochemistry, Biophysics or other suitable disciplines + 5 years in a protein chemistry lab.
- Through cutting-edge science and medicine, our company discovers, develops and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Our company is a pioneer in biotechnology and today the Company has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis (MS), has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is at the forefront of neurology research for conditions including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
- Our company also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics.
- Our global organization of nearly 7,000 employees is committed to a single mission: making a meaningful difference in the lives of patients with few or no treatment options.
- Our company was founded in 1978 and today serves patients in nearly 70 countries.
- We aspire to have the greatest impact on patients and science of any biotechnology company in the history of our industry.
- To us, that means creating novel medicines that benefit individuals and society, and bringing new scientific understanding to diseases for which there are no adequate treatments.
- For nearly two decades our company has led in the research and development of new therapies to treat MS, including the most prescribed oral treatment in the world.
- Now our research is driving revolutionary new MS treatments with the goal of reversing or even repairing damage caused by the disease.
- We are now applying our neurological expertise to solve some of most challenging and complex diseases of the brain, including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and ALS.
- As we uncover new insights into human biology, our company is employing cutting-edge technologies to discover potential treatments for rare and genetic disorders.
- Our company is revolutionizing biologic manufacturing, developing the industry’s most advanced plants and processes.
- This expertise is used to produce both original innovative therapies and bio similar that expand patient access to lower-cost medicines.
Our Corporate Citizenship
- The same intellectual discipline and passion that drives our science is reflected in our corporate citizenship, environmental sustainability, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- As a company, we are focused on improving science education and limiting the impact of our company on the environment.
Job Segment: Biotech, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Scientific, Scientist, Science, Engineering