Associate Scientist III, Dementia and Memory Disorder, Research - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
|External Posting Title||Associate Scientist III, Dementia and Memory Disorder, Research|
|Job Description||This position is an exciting opportunity to join the fast growing Dementia and Memory Disorder Initiative in Neurodegeneration and Repair Research Unit. Candidate will be involved with the design and execution of experiments to support the discovery of novel drug targets and the development of small and large molecule drugs for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases. Candidate would be expected to work in a fast paced and highly collaborative team environment, and perform independent basic science and drug discovery research focusing on cell-free and cell-based models. Candidate will be responsible for target discovery and validation studies, mechanism of action experiments, in vitro assay development activities, compound screening and characterization using a wide variety of analytical techniques.|
|Location||Cambridge, MA, US|
• Possess excellent understanding of basic neurobiology of neurodegenerative diseases and mechanisms of neurodegeneration (Required).
• Demonstrate keen knowledge of experimental design, underlying scientific principles, and the ability to analyze and assess results (Required).
• In-depth experience in all manner of cell cultures, including generation and maintenance of primary neuronal, astrocyte and glial cultures, including preparation of organotypic slice cultures (Required).
• Experience working with plate-based assays and familiarity with laboratory instrumentation and techniques to support this type of work such as semi-automated pipetting, use of plate readers, Excel or comparable graphing and analysis software (Required).
• Experience in immunocytochemical, biochemical and molecular biology techniques, such as immunostaining, immunoblotting, immunoprecipitation, DNA cloning and PCR (Required).
• In-depth experience in all manner of microscopy, including confocal and two-photon microscopes for fixed tissues and live imaging studies (Required).
• Animal handling experience especially microdissection, including dosing and surgery for conducting in vivo animal studies (Preferred).
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, including patience and steady commitment towards achievement of set goals and capacity to maintain detailed written records of research (Required).
|Education||MS in biological sciences and minimal 3 years of relevant experience in academia or biopharmaceutical industry.|
|About Biogen||Corporate Overview|
Through cutting-edge science and medicine, Biogen discovers, develops and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Biogen is a pioneer in biotechnology and today the Company has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis (MS), has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is at the forefront of neurology research for conditions including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Biogen also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics. Our global organization of nearly 7,000 employees is committed to a single mission: making a meaningful difference in the lives of patients with few or no treatment options.
One of the pioneers in biotechnology, Biogen was founded in 1978 and today serves patients in nearly 90 countries. Our global headquarters and R&D operations are located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with an international headquarters in Zug, Switzerland, world-class manufacturing facilities in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA and Hillerod, Denmark, and affiliate locations around the world.
We aspire to have the greatest impact on patients and science of any biotechnology company in the history of our industry. To us, that means creating novel medicines that benefit individuals and society, and bringing new scientific understanding to diseases for which there are no adequate treatments.
For nearly two decades Biogen has led in the research and development of new therapies to treat MS, including the most prescribed oral treatment in the world. Now our research is driving revolutionary new MS treatments with the goal of reversing or even repairing damage caused by the disease. We are now applying our neurological expertise to solve some of most challenging and complex diseases of the brain, including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and ALS. As we uncover new insights into human biology, Biogen is employing cutting-edge technologies to discover potential treatments for rare and genetic disorders.
Biogen is revolutionizing biologics manufacturing, developing the industry’s most advanced plants and processes. This expertise is used to produce both original innovative therapies and biosimilars that expand patient access to lower-cost medicines.
Our Corporate Citizenship
The same intellectual discipline and passion that drives our science is reflected in our corporate citizenship, environmental sustainability, and commitment to diversity and inclusion. As a company, we are focused on improving science education and limiting the impact of our company on the environment. In 2015, we became a carbon neutral company and ranked first place on Newsweek’s 2015 Green Rankings, and we are an industry leader on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Biogen was named to Science’s list of Top Employers of 2015 and in 2017 received a perfect score of 100 for the fourth consecutive year on the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Corporate Equality Index, which also named Biogen as one of its Best Places to Work.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Biogen is an E-Verify Employer in the United States.
Please be advised that all legitimate correspondence from a Biogen employee will come from "@biogen.com" email accounts.
Nearest Major Market: Cambridge
Nearest Secondary Market: Boston
Job Segment: Biochemistry, Scientific, Biotech, Research Associate, Science, Engineering, Research