Associate Professor in Analytical Natural Product Chemistry - Denmark
- The Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as Associate Professor in Analytical Natural Product Chemistry. Bioengineering contributes to research, development and education within Biotechnology, Microbiology, Biomanufacturing and Bioinformatics. The new Assoc.
- Professor will be affiliated with the Section for “Microbiology and Chemical Ecology”, one of 3 sections at the Department. Bioengineering.
- The section currently employs approx. 50 people, including 10 faculty members.
- The department has a strong standing in microbial biodiversity, fermentation, biochemistry and novel methods for genetic modification of cell factories, with a strong focus on discovery, engineering and analysis of bacterial and fungal secondary metabolites.
The position involves research, teaching, and mentoring at BSc, MSc and PhD levels.
- Secure research funding from Danish, European or other international funding agencies.
- Collaborate closely with research groups within the department and with other departments, such as Chemistry, Bio-sustain and Food as well as with research groups at other universities both nationally and internationally
- The successful candidate should be an ambitious and productive researcher at the forefront of research within small bioactive molecule analytics, especially in microbial secondary metabolites, but a broader experience in other fields such as cellular components, toxins, pharmaceuticals and innovation is also desirable.
- Candidates with a track record indicating that in the future they will be aiming for full professorships will be preferred.
- Documented research within advanced mass spectrometry, several types of chromatography, derivatization techniques, as well as advanced data-analysis methods for microbial secondary metabolites and their biosynthesis.
- Experience in trace analysis for environmental studies including sample-preparation techniques for challenging matrices such as soil, seawater, food and feed.
- Documented original scientific production at an international level and the ability to develop analytical natural product chemistry as a research field in the future.
- The ability to take lead in experimental research in analytical chemistry, characterization of intracellular and secondary metabolism, stable isotope labelling techniques, metabolomics including lipidomics, and biomarker discovery.
- Significant and well-documented experience in teaching and research supervision.
- Experience in teaching, coordinating and developing new courses.
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an Assistant Professorship
- document didactic/pedagogic training
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to
- experience in teaching and education
- scientific production and research potential at an international level
- the ability to promote and utilize research results
- an all-round experience basis, preferably including international experience
- the ability to contribute to development of internal and external cooperation
Consideration will also be given to a person with:
- the ability to lead and develop a research team.
- a track record of securing external research funding.
- ability to teach subjects in analytical chemistry, mass spectrometry and chromatography, sample preparation, advanced data analysis.
- experience with innovation activities.
- the ability to develop new analytical methods and applications for the analysis of microbial secondary metabolites for applications within the section and department
- visions within the research area.
- ability to attract projects from industry
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
- The Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine conducts research, educates future bio-engineers, provides scientific advice and innovate within the areas of microbiology, biochemistry, biotechnology and biomedicine.
- The research at our company Bioengineering is at the highest international level and focuses on the societal and scientific challenges within the field.
- Research is conducted within three main areas: Microbial ecology and physiology, Industrial biotechnology and cell factories, and Bio medicine and health.
- The department has extensive collaboration with national and international research units and industries.
- Our Bio engineering has approx. 150 employees, of which 2/3 is scientific staff.
- Our company is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice.
- Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,600 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future.
- Our company is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.