BioCentury has an opening in our Redwood City, Calif., office for an Associate Production Editor -- a digital production/media specialist reporting to the Director of Publishing and part of a small production team, collaborating closely with editors, writers, and other designers and developers.
You will play a key role in the company’s efforts to timely create, produce and deliver BioCentury’s digital publications to our subscribers. Publications include:
- Daily HTML email publication (BioCentury Extra)
- Weekly Publications (BioCentury, BioCentury Week in Review, BioCentury Innovations)
- Corporate Marketing and Conference Collateral (HTML emails, digital and print-ready materials)
- Significant work in graphic design, layout, print production, visual arts or a related field.
- An outstanding portfolio and experience that demonstrates clear knowledge of print production and design, including complex infographics and high-level concepts.
- Possess a mix of both creative and technical skills -- able to work quickly but also remain extremely detail-oriented.
- Ability to meet daily and weekly production deadlines
- Ability to identify, resolve and overcome obstacles/problems, applying simple problem-solving techniques.
- Ability to be an active participant in a team, in addition to work with high degree of independence
- Deliver high-quality work on deadlines with a minimum of supervision
- Expert knowledge and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver
- Strong publishing production skills; file preparation, preflight and document composition, workflow automation for output to PDF, HTML email, and web publishing.
- Working knowledge of HTML (creation and editing) -- trouble-shooting cross platform compatibility across all email clients and web browsers
- Experience with digital content such as websites, social media, online advertising, and email campaigns.
- Knowledge of web-development software, multi-channel publishing and content management system is a plus
While strong typographic and layout skills, strict attention to detail, and outstanding organizational, project management, file-organization and archiving skills are a must, hands-on working knowledge of print and publishing prepress requirements -- including packaged and preflight files for release to printers or media partners is desirable. Previous publishing experience with working knowledge of templates, Java scripts, paragraph styles, character styles, style sheets, and automated workflows is also desirable.
Applicants must submit a cover letter in addition to a resume and other pertinent credentials.
Finally, all BioCentury employees are obligated to meet the highest standards with respect to accuracy, conflict of interest, intellectual property rights, slander, confidentiality and respect for information sources and readers.
The work environment is casual; however, professional behavior and an obligation to meet the highest standards in with respect to accuracy and deadlines are absolute requirements for all BioCentury employees.
Salary commensurate with experience
Company-sponsored suite of health insurance plans and life insurance