Associate Principal Scientist – Economic Modeling and Data Sciences Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Center for Observational and Real-world Evidence at Merck is responsible for generating the evidence to support scientific and commercial value of Merck’s portfolio to optimize access, reimbursement, and patient outcomes. In collaboration with internal and external partners, Economic and Data Sciences (EDS), provides strategic and technical leadership to enable patient access, measure and quantify the value of our products, inform internal and external decisions, and shape methodology and external health policy and practice.
Under the direction of an EDS Executive Director, the Associate Principal Scientist provides strategic development and use of industry-leading predictive and economic models to enhance our understanding of disease and to quantify and communicate the value of our products to patients, providers, and payers. The scientist provides model-based business insights across all phases of drug and vaccine development. In addition, she/he serves as the EDS lead for one or more value evidence teams to develop health economic, disease, and predictive models to enable business insights for the product.
- Utilize discovery, real world evidence, clinical trial and published data, and publically available information and tools to provide economic and integrated models to answer key questions in all phases of drug and vaccine development – Phase I through loss of data exclusivity.
- Advance the use of integrated quantitative approaches, focusing on economic, disease, and predictive modeling and simulation in partnership with other internal groups and external organizations.
- Liaise with statistics, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics teams, IT, data management, and other quantitative groups in Merck to optimize strategy and align resources for their respective products.
- Maintain awareness of external data, models and IT environment to collaborate across relevant internal stakeholders to enhance Merck capabilities in modeling, simulation, and data visualization.
- Work closely with external (other companies, payers, academic and regulatory) collaborators and partners to assure that new methodologies, models and advanced analytics are fully utilized for our products.
- Partner in defining and implementing the EDS vision and strategy to develop an innovative, world class Center of Excellence in data science as well predictive and economic modeling.
- Ensure sharing of work product and relevant best practices across the Merck enterprise.
- PhD (preferred) or Masters in Quantitative Sciences such as Health Economics, Health Services Research, Decision Science, Mathematics, Predictive Modeling, Statistics, Operations Research, Physics, Engineering or closely related field with 3 or more years beyond PhD or 5 or more years beyond Masters of relevant experience in healthcare
- Exceptional leadership skills with experience in leading teams
- Experience in the design and development of model approaches to enable internal and external decisions
- Experience in managing resources and driving implementation
- Exceptional technical and problem solving skills
- Deep knowledge and experience in the application of predictive modeling to solve problems in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry to enable internal and external decisions
- Strong record of research publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) are expected
- Experience in specific therapeutics areas: infectious diseases and vaccines, neuroscience
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Outcomes Research -Health Econ
Job Title:Assoc Prin Scientist, Outcomes Research
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Other Locations: EMEA-United Kingdom, NA-US-MA-Boston, NA-US-New Jersey
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Database, Neurology, Biotech, Scientific, Law, Healthcare, Technology, Science, Engineering, Legal