Associate Principal Scientist Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc., known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
A highly motivated candidate is sought to join the Target Protein Design group in the Chemistry Capabilities and Screening Department. This group utilizes multidisciplinary approaches to understand protein structure, function, and dynamics of novel drug targets in preparation for their advancement into our drug discovery pipeline. The job requires the candidate to work in cross-functional teams to understand the protein reagent needs of different functional areas and produce recombinant proteins to enable lead finding activities and structure determination. Specific projects will involve cross-functional collaborations across diverse therapeutic areas that target proteins and pathways in oncology, immunology, cardiometabolic diseases, infectious disease, and neuroscience. This is a basic research position that requires critical thinking, flexibility, multitasking, and the ability to bring in new technologies to enable generation and characterization of difficult to express proteins.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Collaborate with colleagues in various therapeutic areas, Screening, Pharmacology and Structural Sciences in a cross-functional team environment to design a comprehensive reagent generation strategy to enable drug discovery activities.
- Lead Protein Design efforts in designing constructs, high through-put expression screening strategies, purification and characterization of various recombinant protein targets including membrane proteins and multi-protein complexes to enable generation of high quality proteins for screening and structure determination.
- Guide a team of scientists to ensure flawless execution of multiple programs in parallel.
- Independently perform complex experiments with strong attention to detail and documentation.
- Work with CRO’s to outsource routine protein expression and production work.
- Present data at team and group meetings.
- Excellent written and oral skills needed.
- Accomplish goals under project team timelines.
- Industry experience is preferred.
- Qualified candidates will have a MS with 8-12 years’ experience or a Ph.D with 4+ years’ experience in Biochemistry, Protein engineering, Molecular/Structural biology, Biophysics with a strong publication record in relevant journals.
- Preference will be given to candidates with deep technical expertise in protein design and production including protein expression and purification, protein engineering, biophysical and biochemical assays.
- Demonstrated proficiency in production and crystallization of difficult protein targets such as multi protein complexes, protein-nucleic acid complexes or membrane proteins.
- Proficiency with analytical techniques, such as LC-MS, DLS, ITC, protein labeling and Tm determination is preferred.
- Experience in using computational tools for homology modeling, de novo predictions, structure visualization and analysis, protein NMR and crystallography is highly desirable.
- The successful candidate must be highly organized, motivated, work independently in a collaborative team-oriented setting, and have strong analytical, organizational, and communication skills.
- Experience within a team environment as both a member and a leader with strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to write protocols, reports and peer-reviewed publications.
- Ability to effectively represent the department to key stakeholders, effectively engage and present to staff at all levels, including senior management.
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Chemistry - Science & Technology
Job Title:Assoc Prin. Scientist, Chemistry
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Other Locations: NA-US-PA-West Point
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Hazardous Materials: L- compounds
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Chemistry, Biochemistry, Scientific, Neurology, Oncology, Science, Engineering, Healthcare