Associate Director, Scientific Computing - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
|External Posting Title||Associate Director, Scientific Computing|
|Job Description||Drug discovery continues to be transformed by powerful computational sciences and technologies that translate high throughput measurements into actionable knowledge about disease, patients and therapeutics. At Biogen, the Scientific Computing team is part of Biogen’s Research and Early Development organization and provides scientists with cutting-edge computational informatics and analytics tools and services. The team will also collaborate closely with the IT organization on points of common interest. The team has technical depth, agility and great motivation to solve scientifically demanding problems.|
Biogen is seeking a Head of Scientific Computing to work at the interface of computer science, genomics and computational and systems biology to ensure that computing architecture keeps up with the rate of innovation in genomics and proteomics sciences. The Head of Scientific Computing will lead a team to architect, develop, deploy and maintain products and services, and most importantly, define a vision of innovation that delivers value while solving challenging problems and meeting business needs through application of Biogen R&D’s high performance computing and data resources. The Head is a member of the Computational Biology and Genomics leadership team and contributor to its strategy.
The ideal candidate will have scientific software engineering and high performance compute administrative experience and demonstrated expertise in both designing, leading and operationalizing high performance computing services and environments for applications in areas of computational biology, cheminformatics, proteomics, image analysis and related disciplines.
In addition s/he has a solid understanding of modern large scale data sets in basic science and clinical settings, large genetic and genomic data sets, and is a team player who will work closely with computational biologists, statistical geneticists, experimental and clinical neurologists on projects across all parts of the organization and at all points of the pipeline from target discovery and validation to biomarkers to manufacturing.
• Lead a small team of Scientific Computing engineers to prototype and execute scientific software development projects against needs and requirements comprising world-class data processing, QC and management platforms such as the NGS data generation and processing pipeline
• Operationalize development projects into production quality tools in the existing research compute ecosystem for use by scientists
• Work closely with scientists to understand scientific challenges, data needs, business needs, technology and software requirements and in turn communicate internally and externally about Scientific Computing
• Define and develop a strategy for the systems and services that meet the needs of stakeholders and manage daily service across a continuum from “self-serve” to “dedicated support”
• Develop relationships with key stakeholders and leaders across R&D to build a portfolio of services
• Stay up-to-date and be familiar with new high performance computing technologies and anticipate and exploit use of new technologies that impact decision making in drug discovery
• Lead evaluation, selection of, and work with outside vendors to design and implement solutions, as well as integrate them into internal pipelines.
• Work closely with IT to maintain Biogen's quality and scale of compute and storage infrastructure.
• Foster and commit to a team culture of continuous improvement, responsiveness, agility and technical excellence
|Location||Cambridge, MA, US|
|Job Category||Information Technology, Research|
• Relevant experience in creating and applying technologies to solve computationally intensive and data intensive in any of the following: bioinformatics, medical informatics, clinical informatics, distributed and high performance computing, large scale data transfer, data visualization
• Excellent communications skills and experience leading a team and working as a member of a team in a matrix environment
• Extensive knowledge of large scale biological data and methods of management, e.g. RNA-Seq, DNA-Seq, semantic data, imaging, data aggregation, data-marting, data virtualization, relational databases, object stores, column stores, triple stores, graph stores, document stores, storage resource broker/SRB, iRODs
• Experience with high performance computing and storage such as distributed computing systems (e.g. SGE, LSF, PBS, Hadoop, Opengrid, Spark), cloud computing (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud), vendor platforms (e.g. EMC)
• BS (required), MS/PhD (preferred) in computer sciences, information sciences, or a quantitative discipline such as computational biology, systems biology, computational chemistry or physics
|About Biogen||Corporate Overview|
Through cutting-edge science and medicine, Biogen discovers, develops and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Biogen is a pioneer in biotechnology and today the Company has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis (MS), has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is at the forefront of neurology research for conditions including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Biogen also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics. Our global organization of nearly 7,000 employees is committed to a single mission:
making a meaningful difference in the lives of patients with few or no treatment options.
We aspire to have the greatest impact on patients and science of any biotechnology company in the history of our industry. To us, that means creating novel medicines that benefit individuals and society, and bringing new scientific understanding to diseases for which there are no adequate treatments.
The same intellectual discipline and passion that drives our science is reflected in our corporate citizenship, environmental sustainability, and commitment to diversity and inclusion. As a company, we are focused on improving science education and limiting the impact of our company on the environment. In 2015, we became a carbon neutral company and ranked first place on Newsweek’s 2015 Green Rankings, and we are an industry leader on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Biogen was named to Science’s list of Top Employers of 2015 and in 2017 received a perfect score of 100 for the fourth consecutive year on the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Corporate Equality Index, which also named Biogen as one of its Best Places to Work.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Biogen is an E-Verify Employer in the United States.
Please be advised that all legitimate correspondence from a Biogen employee will come from "@biogen.com" email accounts.
Nearest Major Market: Cambridge
Nearest Secondary Market: Boston
Job Segment: Chemistry, Manager, Scientific, Biotech, Engineer, Science, Management, Engineering