Associate Director, Research and Development Procurement Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The position of Associate Director of Research and Development Procurement is responsible for all Procurement activities in support of the Chemistry and Genetics area of MRL. The Associate Director will be responsible for leading cross-functional teams through the Sourcing Management Process and developing team member’s capabilities to do the same. The Associate Director will be responsible for managing categories with a high degree of complexity, including challenging supplier negotiations, that will ultimately deliver significant results for Merck.
The job responsibilities are as follows:
- Category Scope – Direct responsibility for the Chemistry and Genetics portfolio and associated supplier relationships
- Sourcing Management – To adopt, lead, and execute the Sourcing Management Process by leading cross-functional teams
- Strategy Creation – Establish a cross-functional team that will create breakthrough strategies that deliver significant business benefit to Merck over time
- Sourcing – Oversee and lead the sourcing activity including RFX, RFP, negotiations, and contracting with targeted suppliers
- Strategy Implementation – Oversee and manage all aspects of implementation including stakeholder engagement, entry and exit of suppliers, and alignment with other categories
- Stakeholder Management – Work in a way that positively engages the support of stakeholders using problem solving and proactive communication skills. Execute an Entity Management Program that helps build a sourcing project pipeline and ensures alignment with key stakeholders
- Market Understanding/Business Requirements– Develop a keen insight and understanding of business requirements and market trends on a 1-3-5 year horizon
- Project and Change Management – The complexity of categories and projects require high quality project and program management skills
- People Management – Responsibility for developing and managing a staff of analysts and sourcing managers
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor's Degree
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum Five (5) years of direct experience in a strategic sourcing role with significant scope & responsibility in technical Procurement categories.
- Additional experience in business operations or Supply Chain experience within a global organization in roles such as, but not limited to, drug discovery research, strategic supply chain, and/or manufacturing
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- MBA or advanced degree is desirable.
- An in depth understanding of Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) role in the drug development process
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Technical Procurement
Job Title:Assoc. Dir, Procurement
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-West Point
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth, NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station West
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Genetics, Research Associate, Manager, Procurement, Science, Research, Management, Operations