Associate Director, Publication Manager, Oncology Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its 125-year legacy. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Oncology organization is dedicated to delivering breakthrough innovations that extend and improve the lives of cancer patients worldwide. Our team of dauntless, forward-thinking individuals achieves this through an unwavering commitment to supporting accessibility to medicine, providing new therapeutic procedures, and collaborating with governments and payers to ensure that people who need medicines have access to them. At Merck, our focus is on innovation and launch execution excellence; we translate breakthrough science into innovative medicines that help people with cancer across the globe.
The Associate Director Publication Manager is the central source of information regarding publication activities, is responsible for leading global Publication Teams, and driving the development and implementation of global publication strategies and tactical plans. The Associate Director Pub Manager oversees compliance with Merck publication policies and procedures and works collaboratively with stakeholders on all levels both within and outside the company, including Merck Research Laboratories (MRL), Global Human Health (GHH) and medical communication agencies. By providing global publication insight, knowledge of the therapeutic area, and scientific expertise, they will lead the development of comprehensive publication strategy and plans.
The Associate Director Pub Manager provides the Publication Team and authors with expert input regarding the selection of appropriate journals and congresses for scientific data dissemination. They work closely with both an internal writing staff and medical communication agencies to efficiently allocate resources for writing, editing, formatting and submitting articles to peer-reviewed scientific journals and scientific congresses. They are the point to the Publication Team with regard to current publication policies and industry trends.
Lead development of and maintain publication strategy and plans for assigned products in the oncology therapeutic area. The Associate Director Pub Manager delivers the tactics identified in the plan(s) and manages relationships with both internal and external groups. The Associate Director Pub Manager is expected to:
- Lead cross-functional Publication Teams for a number of products within a therapeutic area and drive the development of overarching publication strategies and comprehensive tactical plans and drives the execution of the plan deliverables.
- Lead Publication Team Meetings; facilitate strategic discussions; prepare background materials, agendas and meeting notes.
- Lead the timely delivery of high-quality publications to relevant audiences in assigned therapeutic areas.
- Regularly present publication plans to management and various internal and external meetings including Clinical Core Teams, Global Scientific Affairs Teams (GSATs), Advisory Boards, and Steering Committees
- Provide therapeutic area expertise to lead scientific strategy discussions around appropriate data dissemination planning
- Initiate and lead Publication Committees where appropriate
- Track all publication activity on assigned products using the Datavision publications database and generate reports for stakeholders as needed.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with clinical investigators, scientific leaders, external authors, journal editors, and congress secretariats.
- Select, contract and manage medical communications agencies and freelancer writers; takes a lead role in monitoring vendor performance and facilitating issue resolution
- Effectively plan and manage publication planning budget, providing updates to management.
- Ensure that medical/scientific publication activities comply with the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors Recommendations, the Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials (CONSORT), and Good Publication Practice for Pharmaceutical Companies; adhere to Merck’s Publication Policies and Procedures; and adhere to all publication compliance-related commitments.
- Provide regular and ad hoc publication process compliance training to Publication Teams
- Conduct business in accordance with Merck corporate values.
- Identifies and drives process improvement and sharing of best practices to further enhance the efficiency of the publication processes
- A Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of 8 years, of experience, OR Master's Degree with a minimum of 6 years, OR PhD with a minimum of 3 years of experience in involving scientific publication development.
- At least three (3) years of industry experience in pharmaceutical drug development.
- Relevant experience in oncology and strong scientific background.
- A track-record of accomplishment in a publication management role.
- Advanced scientific degree (e.g., MS, PharmD, Ph.D.) or a combination of equivalent.
- ISMPP Certified Medical Publication Professional™
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Scientific Affairs
Job Title:Assoc. Dir, Scientific Affairs
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Rahway
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Oncology, Manager, Medical, Pharmaceutical, Healthcare, Management, Science, Research