Associate Director, Outcomes Research, CORE Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its 125-year legacy. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The opportunity: By harnessing the power of scientific methodology and large data contribute to the development of evidence that demonstrates the value of Merck’s pharmaceuticals and vaccines and provides our customers (payers, providers, patients, policy makers) with transformative insights. We aspire to use advanced analytical approaches and diverse sources of information in order to identify new and actionable bits of information that will positively impact care and wellbeing. This position will provide support in formulating strategic information and advice on cost/value, reimbursement, and promotion in support of marketed and developmental compounds.
Who you are: You are a data scientist with interests in population health. You are inherently curious with a strong desire to explore relations beyond the obvious, yet systematic and disciplined.
Where you fit in: You will collaborate with and support a diverse set of scientists in the Center for Observational and Real World Evidence (CORE) as you seek to push the boundaries of use of real world data to support market access, reimbursement and other business imperatives. You will help identify business and scientific opportunities as you broaden the scope of collaboration with other functions in the research laboratories. You will do this in a vibrant research environment with a strong innovative culture. You will have access to a wealth of resources and growth opportunities that only a premier pharmaceutical company can offer.
Position location: Upper Gwynedd, Pennsylvania
- Supports the development of statistical models & methodologies in order to quantify, estimate, and forecast health metrics of interest
- With relevant guidance, designs retrospective database studies, prospective naturalistic pharmaco-economics studies, or comparative effectiveness studies to test hypothesis and/or validate findings.
- Conducts advanced data analysis and utilizes/develops appropriate algorithms and statistical models to discover patterns, associations, and causal relations.
- Prepares data driven analyses reports to meet regulatory and HTA/R needs and to enhance understanding of barriers and drivers to pricing, reimbursement, and market access.
- Effectively communicates findings and methodological approaches. Actively supports research communication plans and may lead in the development of presentations and scientific publications.
- Reviews and provides critical appraisals of studies conducted by other sponsors.
- Remains abreast of scientific developments within fields of expertise, and maintains the CORE group’s awareness of new methodologies. Contributes to Merck's prestige by maintaining recognition as an expert in his/her field; may publish independent scientific research in leading journals, participate in and present at scientific organizations and meetings, and serve as a peer reviewer for scientific journals.
- Training in biostatistics, statistics, econometrics, public health, epidemiology, or a related field required; PhD preferred. Alternatively, a Master’s degree in a relevant field with at least 4 years relevant work experience is required.
- Two (2) or more years of relevant quantitative research and analytics experience.
- Solid knowledge of statistical techniques
- Proficiency in statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, and multivariate testing
- Understanding of observational and experimental study design, broad knowledge and experience in the application of methodological approaches to problems in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry, and ability to interpret results
- Strong programming skills (such as Hadoop or other big data frameworks), statistical modeling (like SAS or R)
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to come up with solutions to loosely defined business problems by leveraging pattern detection over potentially large datasets
- Familiarity with administrative healthcare data, including Medicare/Medicaid
- Some industry/business knowledge.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Outcomes Research -Health Econ
Job Title:Associate Director, Outcomes Research (CORE)
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Rahway
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Epidemiology, Research Associate, Public Health, Biotech, Manager, Healthcare, Research, Science, Management