Associate Director, Marketing Services Procurement Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Associate Director is responsible for global category management and sourcing leadership of marketing services categories through cooperation with regional and/or local sourcing professionals. The categories in scope are: Creative/Digital, Adaptation/Execution/Print, Media and Medical Education (specific responsibilities will be assigned based on individual’s core strengths, experience and interests). The primary mission is to understand and translate the business’ marketing plan working with the global team to design and develop sourcing strategies using the 5-Stage Sourcing Management Process (SMP) and to provide strategy oversight for regional/local implementation leveraging our SSC matrix organization. This role is also responsible for directing the activities of Sourcing Specialists to drive sourcing execution of approved strategies in pursue of achieving/exceeding key metrics such as savings, supplier diversity, supplier performance management and working capital.
Critical to success targets and activities:
- Definition and planning of high level objectives targeted to long term results that will impact the way Merck views and purchases the category. This is the "big picture" creation and it entails active engagement with senior stakeholders as well as critical members of the business in the category during the course of SMP. Meetings with stakeholders to discuss SMP strategic tools; facilitation of workshops and meetings during SMP; dialogue and meetings with SSC matrix organization in connection with Target; participation in Market Intelligence activities in connection with Target; data gathering and analysis in connection with Target; others that contribute to fundamentally change or effect the status quo in pursue of a long term competitive advantage to Merck.
- Implementation of tactical plans or projects directly linked to a strategy created during the course of SMP. Provide direction on development, rollout and execution of RFIs/RFPs pursuant to supplier selection aligned with strategic goals; process re-engineering in cooperation with the business pursuant to modify or create processes in connection with strategic goals; dialogue and meetings with SSC matrix organization in connection with execution of strategic goals; others that are directly linked with execution of strategic goals.
Agency management (ARM):
- Design, planning and implementation of actions and projects in connection with SMP or strategic goals pursuant to develop, improve, sustain or reposition Merck's relationship with critical/strategic agencies. Development/participation in supplier forums, congresses or market organizations; dialogues and meetings with business partners and suppliers in connection with Target; review, analysis and negotiation of contracts pursuant to Target; data gathering/analysis pursuant to generation of insights in connection with Target.
- Design, planning and implementation of actions pursuant to develop, improve, sustain or reposition Global Procurement's relationship with critical/strategic business partners. Development of strategies to engage with business partners pursuant to Target; dialogues and meetings with business partners pursuant to Target; development and understanding of stakeholder maps; sponsorship retention and sustainability during the course of SMP; facilitation and coaching of workshops during the course of SMP.
Critical to success relationships:
This role is responsible and accountable for sustaining existing and developing new cooperation frameworks across three stakeholder groups:
- With Procurement Colleagues: Participates/leads teams of global, regional & local representatives in the SSC matrix to develop and implement strategic source plans as well as to ensure alignment on key initiatives and priorities for broader Marketing services categories. Act as a member of the team willing to carry out the mission, constructively coach and develop both direct reports and colleagues alike, and ensure that input from all members is taken into account.
- With Business Partners: Identifies, engages and partners with critical stakeholders to define and meet or exceed business requirements and identify and manage profit plan savings targets. Understands strategic business requirements at 1-3-5 year horizon. Act as a trusted advisor to a wide range of business partners in the Marketing organization with a keen ear for needs and wants, and the ability to influence and guide strategic decision making, but also the courage to appropriately challenge the status quo.
- With Agencies: Responsible for building relationships with Global, International and Enterprise agencies managing key agency performance metrics against business requirements; ensure adequate inclusion of diversity suppliers in RFPs and contracts as applicable. Act as a representative of the Corporation with a relentless drive to ensure Merck is using Agencies’ core competencies, provide a fair opportunity for sustainable growth, and optimize their spend.
Process, Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) and Market Knowledge:
- Category Management – Uses the 5-Stage Sourcing Management Process (SMP) to drive assurance of supply, quality, service, cost, innovation and regulatory compliance within assigned categories resulting in strategies which optimize value and ensure appropriate risk management. Understands the Sourcing Management Process and how to modulate its application in the creation and implementation of source plans.
- Proactive Cost and Cash Flow Management: Achieves cost control, cost reduction, and cost containment and cash flow targets, and adds value to area of expenditure through a strong TCO orientation and process management.
- Market Knowledge and Insight: Uses thorough market knowledge and data analysis to gain critical insights that inform the creation and execution of Sourcing Strategies and continuous improvement activities. Actively participates in relevant industry conferences and events as appropriate.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor's degree required; Marketing, Business or related field strongly preferred.
- MBA or advanced degree and/or relevant certification is desirable.
Required Experience and Skills:
- 7 years experience in strategic sourcing (global category management) or related role.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Previous Marketing/Media/Advertising/Digital agency experience highly desirable.
- Experience in international business or management consulting also desirable.
- Knowledge of Procurement related business processes.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity required.
- Demonstrates solid leadership capabilities at the Manager level, with particular strengths in collaboration, written and verbal communications, and cross-functional teamwork.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Services Procurement
Job Title:Assoc. Dir, Procurement
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-West Point
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth, NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station West
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Manager, Medical, Procurement, Law, Marketing, Management, Healthcare, Operations, Legal