Associate Director, Market Research Oncology Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Merck’s Oncology division is dedicated to delivering breakthrough innovations that extend and improve the lives of cancer patients worldwide. Our team of dauntless, forward-thinking individuals achieves this through an unwavering commitment to supporting accessibility to medicine, providing new therapeutic procedures, and collaborating with governments and payers to ensure that people who need medicines have access to them. At Merck, our focus is on innovation and launch execution excellence; we translate breakthrough science into innovative medicines that help people with cancer across the globe.
The Market Research Associate Director will have responsibilities both for Primary & Secondary Market research across the Franchise. The position will plan, manage, and execute a scope of work in oncology market research that spans multiple indications with primary focus on performance metrics, both in pre-launch and post-launch settings as well as executing projects with Pan Tumor impact across the Keytruda portfolio. The position is responsible for providing strategic input to the extended global team via primary market research projects, secondary data analysis and adhoc requests by proactively identifying strategic insights, answering key business questions, and applying all available resources to produce actionable business solutions and recommendations.
Requires a strong understanding of primary market research methodologies and secondary data sets (minimum of 3 years), for new product launches and in-line products with multiple customer segments within the specialty arena. Past market pharmaceutical commercial roles (sales, marketing, access/reimbursement etc) and/or early indications experience is preferred. Experience in oncology or other specialty therapies is desired.
This individual is expected to be an exceptional team player who can comfortably interact with and add value to the existing team of multiple market research team members working on Keytruda and who also can comfortably partner with extended oncology team members including pricing and access, sales, marketing, and other market research colleagues responsible for specific indications. The individual should also be able to pro-actively identify business opportunities for both Keytruda and the Oncology Franchise.
At the same time, this Associate Director will have demonstrated consistently strong leadership skills with an ability to work independently in a rapidly changing environment with a transformational mindset, cultural awareness,and resiliency to change that enables them to effectively produce results for individual areas of responsibility. Primary stakeholders would be Global Brand Marketing/US Brand team/extended Brand teams.
- Develop and oversee execution of an assigned portion of the global market research plan and timeline for all aspects of Keytruda with a strategic mindset and minimal supervision.
- Leadership and/or involvement in primary market research projects for Keytruda including framing critical business questions, identification of information needs, identifying considerations from other data sources, development of research/analysis plans and management of the research process to deliver an objective understanding of key customers, competitors, products and current/future market developments.
- Implement market research studies & manage budget of projects; brief agencies to deliver what is required especially strategic business insights in a compliant manner– understands vendor capabilities, quality requirements, and recommends innovative options.
- Articulate the rationale, hypotheses, and methodology of research approaches to both the manager and the franchise/client team proactively and ensure the business objectives are met and communicated in an effective way.
- Explore alternative/creative ways of meeting an information need, considering new techniques alongside more traditional approaches to more quickly and efficiently address business requests.
- Complete complex analyses using available secondary data, syndicated reports and databases and integrates findings into primary market research efforts to tell and evolve the "story".
- Proactively communicate and facilitate discussion with Marketing/Commercial Teams to ensure that insights are considered in decision-making and planning; integrates a variety of sources/studies to present strategic options to the extended team; provides consultative guidance to Marketing/Commercial Team(s).
- Collaborate proactively with cross-functional business partners including marketing communications, market access colleagues, commercial team, and the advertising agency to ensure optimal integration for the launch and post-launch activities.
- Assist with analysis to inform the strategic assumptions that are built into brand forecasts and tracking of key performance indicators and benchmarking dashboards.
- Independently manage competing priorities and demands from within a product team/franchise applying best practices and innovative techniques maximize value and actionable output.
- Take full ownership of understanding the business challenge/information needs, considers alternatives, proposes appropriate method/approach, applies best practices, and proactively considers and/or develops new techniques and innovations to meet objectives.
- Work on and lead adhoc franchise wide initiatives and/or projects as needed.
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree
- Preferred: MBA or Post graduate in quantitative methods.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in market research experience using both primary and secondary data sets
- Well developed analytical skills, strong problem-solving and demonstrated ability to think strategically and objectively
- Pharma US market research experience using both primary and secondary data sets
- Past roles supporting sales, forecasting, access and pricing, marketing, competitive intelligence, early indications is preferred
- Orientation toward collaboration/ team work, ability to lead teams in execution of market research, interest in ongoing learning
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills around customer focus, decision making, courage & candor, and fostering collaboration
- Ability and comfort in prioritizing and managing multiple requests from multiple marketing points and extended team members
- Ability to communicate effectively and a strong desire to lead change in terms of developing Best Practices
- Knowledge of oncology or other specialty therapy areas is strongly preferred as is prior experience on a global launch
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Market Research & Analytics ONC
Job Title:Assoc. Dir, Mkt Research & Analytics
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Other Locations: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Oncology, Medical, Manager, Research Associate, Healthcare, Management, Research