Associate Director, Legal & Compliance Job Singapore,
The primary responsibility of the Associate Director, Legal & Compliance Asia Pacific will be to support and assist the Managing Counsel, Asia Pacific & China in providing legal and compliance support on matters, transactions, initiatives and projects (collectively, Matters ) relating to any MSD business and/or divisions (including but not limited to, Global Human Health, Animal Health, MMD, MRL, GSF, etc.) across the Asia Pacific & China region, as assigned by the Managing Counsel, Asia Pacific & China. The position shall support and handle all such Matters as designated by and under the supervision of the Managing Counsel, Asia Pacific & China. In addition, as a member of the Asia Pacific & China Legal and Compliance team, the incumbent needs to work collaboratively and in conjunction with other team members, as well as other colleagues from the global Legal and Compliance organization, external legal counsel and relevant headquarters and subsidiary staff and functional groups, as needed.
Primary activities include, but are not limited to:
Providing commercial, practical legal advice in accordance with business priorities, as designated by Managing Counsel, Asia Pacific & China
- Support key business initiatives including business development, distribution/vendor arrangements, new marketing initiatives, market access proposals/programs, etc. This may involve:
- Drafting and/or reviewing contracts, including potentially large scale business development contracts (which may include out-licensing, co-promotion, co-marketing agreements) and clinical trial agreements
- Advising/supporting specific business divisions/functions, e.g. IT, Procurement, etc. in their engagements with third party vendors, suppliers and other partners
- Providing internal legal and compliance support on new marketing initiatives, innovation proposals, customer centricity initiatives and patient programs and related promotional materials and documents, review and draft/negotiate related contracts and other documents, to ensure compliance with applicable laws, industry codes and MSD policies and standards
- Provide balanced and sound legal risk assessments and counsel on assigned projects/matters to enable the business/functional teams to make prudent informed business decisions
- Monitor changes and developments in the legal and regulatory environment in Asia Pacific & China markets within which MSD operates, and provide appropriate counsel and advice to management on such changes and developments.
Assisting Managing Counsel, Asia Pacific & China to identify opportunities and implement strategies to ensure high performing Legal and Compliance team and efficient partnership other businesses and functions within Asia Pacific & China
- Identify opportunities to increase operational efficiencies within Legal and Compliance team
- Monitor and assess external counsel on assigned projects/matters, where applicable, to ensure consistent delivery of prompt, cost effective, high quality legal advice
- Engage in active knowledge sharing on an ongoing basis including at legal and compliance team meetings.
Providing counsel and support to the business, Business Practices Officers and Compliance Officer/Paralegal, where appropriate, to assist in the implementation of regional compliance initiatives, controls and measures
- Support the development and conduct of legal and compliance training, work with relevant stakeholders to formulate and implement appropriate regional standards and procedures consistent with applicable laws, industry standards and corporate policies
- Conduct investigations as assigned and where necessary, in collaboration with HR, International Investigations, Office of Ethics and any other relevant stakeholders, and coordinate with regional/local management, Compliance Officers and Finance/HR groups in taking practical and appropriate remediation actions as needed
- Support the business on compliance with applicable laws (including privacy laws), corporate policies and procedures and industry codes and guidelines
Employment and Personnel Issues
- Advise on sensitive personnel situations, prepare and review legal documentation as required
- Participate in compliance issue remediation team and provide legal perspectives as required
- Assist with the interpretation and implementation of Corporate Policies, HQ's and regional guidance and standards, SOPs and procedures, as required
- Review communication with external parties, including the government, industry association and the public on issues such as healthcare legislations/policies, compliance standards and disease awareness campaigns, as required
- Admitted to practise law in Singapore
- 8 years or more of post-admission experience
- Additional professional or academic legal qualification outside Singapore would be advantageous
- Ability to identify key issues and consistently apply a high standard of integrity, professionalism, legal knowledge and expertise and business ethics.
- Ability to provide practical, commercially focused and value-added legal advice.
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills.
- Ability to critically review and advise on business programs and procedures in accordance with legal requirements and corporate policies and standards.
- Highly developed technical and research skills, good attention for details and ability to perform investigations and interviews effectively.
- Ability to think broadly with the best interest of the entire organization in mind.
- Strong communication skills in English, both verbal and written.
- Other language abilities, e.g. Chinese/Mandarin or Malay, would be a strong advantage.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize work under pressure.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as within a team environment.
- Ability to deal with a broad range of people across all levels.
- Ability to influence cross-functional teams and senior management in the business.
- Proactive and responsive.
- Practical approach with a can do attitude.
Knowledge & Experience
The following experience is Required:
- In-house legal and compliance experience in a large multinational organization; and/or
- Commercial practice experience in a top tier law firm.
The following experience is Preferred:
- In-house legal and compliance experience with a multi-national pharmaceutical company;
- Private practice experience in advising the pharmaceutical/healthcare industry;
- Private practice experience in providing general commercial, regulatory, including competition, marketing and/or compliance advice. Some experience in commercial litigation and general employment law desirable;
- Familiarity with the US Foreign Corrupt Practice Act, U.K. Bribery Act, the SAPI Code of Conduct and the IFPMA Code of Marketing Practices would be advantageous;
- Working knowledge of privacy and employment legislations desirable.
Job: Regulatory/Commercial/Market Support Job Title:Assoc. Dir, Legal
Primary Location: APAC-SG-Singapore-Singapore
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:MSD
Job Segment: Compliance, Manager, Law, Business Development, Pharmaceutical, Legal, Management, Sales, Science
Find a Job Find Candidates