Associate Director Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
I. GENERAL SUMMARY:
The Associate Director, Technical Operations is responsible for leading a team providing technical support to the manufacturing area while actively fostering, supporting, participating in and embracing an empowered team culture.
II. GENERAL PROFILE:
Manages individual contributors (professional employees) or works as an expert individual contributor.
Contributes to the performance and results of a department.
Provides technical guidance.
Anticipates and interprets client and/or customer needs to identify solutions.
III. BUSINESS EXPERTISE:
Applies management skills to align staff activities with department objectives.
IV. FUNCTIONAL EXPERTISE:
- Leads and/or coaches employees on complex manufacturing investigations and process improvement projects.
- Has ability to examine an issue from diverse perspectives (safety, compliance, automation, equipment, process, and people) in order to best understand and resolve the root cause.
- Monitors the health of the process through continuous monitoring and the annual process review or continuing validation activities.
- Develops and assures consistent application of standardized work, engineering and process tools.
- Provides technical support to manufacturing for complex problems and issues.
- Coaches those providing technical support to manufacturing. May coach, manage, and develop a team of engineers through a direct reporting relationship. Recruits and hires engineers and scientists to support manufacturing operations.
- Designs and conducts experimental protocols as needed using the Technical Operations lab facilities and/or production equipment at full scale.
- Authors and updates technical and manufacturing documents necessary for investigations, process design/definition, engineering studies, process demonstrations, change control and validation.
- Serve as a primary technical reviewer/approver for investigations and significant process changes.
- Links with key functional leads on site and above site to provide input on behalf of the site team.
- Takes a leadership role in regulatory inspection activities for the facility.
V. PROBLEM SOLVING:
Identifies and resolves technical and operational problems using lean/six sigma tools.
Effectively collaborates with peers on site and above site as required.
Expert application of problem solving skills.
- Explains difficult concepts and persuades others to adopt point of view.
Communicates information, asks questions and checks for understanding.
Accountable for the performance of work group.
Makes decisions – guided by policies, procedures and department objectives.
Consults on an as-needed basis with next-level manager on more complex decisions.
VIII. STRATEGIC PLANNING:
- Adapts and implements departmental plans and priorities based on department and site scorecard to address local business, service and operational challenges.
IX. RESOURCE MANAGEMENT:
- Forecasts resource needs; manages allocated budget.
- B.S. degree in Engineering or Sciences.
- Minimum of 8 years post-bachelor’s degree experience in GMP manufacturing and/or technical support of GMP manufacturing operations (or M.S. degree plus 8 years; PhD degree plus 6 years)
- Minimum of 2 years of Management or Supervisory experience
- Experience in biologics, vaccine or bulk sterile manufacturing facilities in a process or validation support role
- Highly developed communication, leadership and teamwork skills
- Experience leading and managing departmental or cross-functional teams
- Advanced degree (M.S., PhD) in science or engineering
- Skills in design of experiments (DOE).
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Minitab, JMP, and/or S-plus.
- Sterile manufacturing experience.
- Validation experience
- Six Sigma certification
- Regulatory inspection presentation experience with external regulatory authority representatives
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Chemical Engineering
Job Title:Assoc. Dir, Engineering
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-West Point
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Manager, Law, Chemical Research, Lean Six Sigma, Engineer, Management, Legal, Engineering