This job is currently Archived,
Associate Director/ Director, Global Publications - Switzerland
Posted on : 02 February 2017
- The Director of Global Publications is responsible for all publication activities within a priority therapeutic area, ensuring appropriate resource levels, systems support, and development/revising needed policies and SOPs to ensure business needs are met in an efficient, timely, and compliant manner;
- additional responsibilities include ensuring global-level contracting for preferred global vendors and governance of publication activities with assigned therapeutic area.
- Director is responsible for managing Publications Managers, general oversight of vendor working on global programs, vendor selection/contracting, coordinating activities to match corporate objectives, direct-report workload, and budgets to effectively deliver publications and contribute to the efficient operations of Global Medical Affairs (GMA).
- Director will work closely with Senior Director and Publications Managers to optimize department resources and to improve processes and department efficiency to deliver high-quality products in a timely manner.
- Director serves as subject-matter expert and consultant for regional- and LOC-level publication issues and contributes to the development and operations of a Publications Center of Excellence.
- Director is responsible for understanding early phase compound activity within the assigned therapeutic area, timing and dependencies for program progression, and resources needed as compounds progress through clinical development.
- Additionally, the Director is responsible for initial activities within the R&D organization publication-related issues during early consideration of compounds, either internally developed or through alliance partnerships.
- The Director will also coordinate initialization of global publication teams with GMA.
- Critical to this position is the understanding of ethical considerations around industry publications, the ability to implement, interpret, and apply policy to daily activities, the ability to assess vendor capabilities within the scope of work, and expectations and understanding of alliance partnerships.
- Provide leadership for global publication programs within an assigned therapeutic area;
- point person for early-phase program;
- determines required resources for programs reaching critical development phase;
- works with global product team members to ensure clear understanding of publication processes, issues,
- works with Global Product Leads and Global Medical Head/Scientific Directors on alignment of publication activities with product communication plans and medical strategies
- Determine resource needs within the therapeutic area;
- recruit vendors and personnel to fill resource gaps;
- manage performance of direct reports and contribute to recruiting, training, and coaching of high-performing individuals;
- creates an atmosphere for learning and professional development consistent with the tenets of our company.
- Works with other Publications Directors to ensure a consistent application of global publication policies, processes, communications, and resource allocation is applied across all therapeutic areas;
- collaborates with other Publications Directors to identify development opportunities and forums for professional growth for themselves and their direct reports
- Develop training materials and provide training opportunities on publication-related issue across the organization, including at affiliate and alliance partners
- Write, maintain, and update global publication policies to ensure company sponsored publications meet the needs of the organization in a manner consistent with good publication practices according to industry and regulatory agencies
- Work closely with the Senior Director Global Publications to establish and run a global center of excellence for publications activities at all levels of the organization, includes any individual responsible for the oversight of publication projects throughout the organization;
- lead change management efforts
- Responsible for communicating to management metrics on output against strategy for the therapeutic area and individual programs, compliance adherence, vendor performance, and budget use.
- Work closely with Publications Managers to coordinate and plan publication budgets, approved work orders, conduct vendor performance assessments, and to execute publication plans for all compounds
- Work with vendors and internal technical support groups to ensure systems supporting publication activities are maintained to meet the growing global business, provide value to the end user, and demonstrate compliance, as required
- Ensure close working relationship with organization on data disclosure issues and represents Global Publications on data disclosure working groups;
- share publication expertise on how such can impact company-sponsored publications Serve as the Global Publications expert for internal and external customers regarding best practices and publication guidelines, as well as internal global Standards and SOPs on publication-related activities
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Advance degree in a scientific discipline or commensurate long-term experience within a pharmaceutical publication department
- 5-7 years of publications planning and execution experience with one or more global products
- Knowledge of and ability to apply relevant external guidelines related to publications, and current standards of good publication practice
- Significant previous experience with peer-reviewed scientific publications
- Significant vendor management experience
- Significant experience in/knowledge of clinical drug development
- Strong communication, prioritizing, problem-solving, planning and organizational skills
- Significant previous experience in managing/leading cross-function teams
- Significant experience in pharmaceutical or biomedical writing
- Experience with publication-support systems
- Experience with broad product/disease area communication planning
- Experience using influence and negotiation to secure positive outcomes
Ability to travel to various professional meetings, conferences and client sites – limited overnight. Some international travel may be required