Associate Director, Enviromental Health & Safety - United States
The Associate Director of North America Environmental Health and Safety will have responsibilities for EHS support activities for all North America Manufacturing and Quality network sites (NAMQN), including Alexion Rhode Island Manufacturing Facility (ARIMF), Holden, Thurber, and the four upstream sites in Georgia. The successful candidate for this position must have a high level of collaborative leadership in order to advance the safety culture and to ensure EHS compliance. The Associate Director must be able to influence and lead people who do not report directly to him/her as he/she will need to teach and lead the NAMQO network on the critical values of safety and environmental stewardship.
- Under the direction of the Director of Global EHS, the Associate Director will mentor a team of three EHS specialists/engineers to provide EHS support to all NAMQN sites.
- The Associate Director will provide leadership, training and operational support to all levels of the NAMQN and across all functional groups. Provide day-to-day program management and compliance with site, corporate and regulatory standards and requirements.
- The Associate Director will serve as an expert environmental, health, and safety resource for the all NAMQN sites.
- The Associate Director must have a high level of collaboration skills and customer focus in order to gain the trust of all NAMQN employees and contractors by listening and responding quickly and effectively to EHS concerns that are raised.
- The Associate Director will lead EHS initiatives including the development and implementation of global EHS programs.
- The Associate Director will manage the NAMQN EHS programs, such as ergonomics, hearing conservation, lockout/tagout, respiratory protection, electrical safety, confined space, fall protection, safe work permit, etc.
- The Associate Director will manage EHS elements of occupational health programs, such as personal protective equipment and will maintain the industrial hygiene program.
- The Associate Director must be able to use a risk-based approach to prioritize the required compliance and risk reduction initiatives and on-going day to day support requirements.
- The Associate Director will provide the EHS participation in hazard and operability studies (HAZOPs) for new engineering and capital projects.
- The Associate Director will ensure EHS review and approval of relevant SOPs and the EHS aspects of change controls.
- The Associate Director will assist in monitoring the efforts of consultants, service providers and contractors participating in site activities with safety, health and environmental impacts.
- The Associate Director must be able to develop and coach junior EHS personnel both on the technical side of EHS and on the required leadership behaviors.
- The Associate Director will be responsible for ensuring all NAMQO sites have the required EHS permits and plans and will develop any compliance plans that may be required in order to bring the sites into full compliance.
- The Associate Director will assist people leaders throughout the NAMQN in the performance of incident investigations and root cause analyses for EHS-related incidents.
- The Associate Director will ensure each site maintains all safety records and exposure monitoring and generates reports as required.
- The Associate Director will ensure each site has the appropriate site emergency response procedures are in place and that readiness drills are performed.
- The Associate Director will mentor and guide each site’s employee safety committee.
- The Associate Director will develop an EHS inspection readiness program and be the primary facilitator when the North America sites are inspected for EHS programs.
- After the implementation of EHS programs, the Associate Director will be responsible for implementing an audit program to monitor continued compliance and gain input on continuous improvement opportunities.
- High level of technical knowledge of safety and environmental requirements for the biotechnology industry.
- Most have working knowledge of GMP manufacturing
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required.
- Must have a high level of knowledge of safety, industrial hygiene, and environmental compliance requirements.
- Must be able to lead by example and lead in a positive manner to illustrate that the goal of safety programs is to keep peers safe and allow people to go home after work unharmed.
- Strong technical writing skills and the ability to explain a complex issue in simple terms is required.
- Must have experience with the development and implementation of EHS programs.
- Must have experience with EHS regulatory inspections.
- Must have experience developing and mentoring junior EHS staff members.
- BS in Engineering , Industrial Hygiene, or other comparable technical degree
- >15 years of relevant EHS experience supporting biopharmaceutical manufacturing and laboratories.
Smithfield, RI, United States
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and delivering life-transforming therapies for patients with devastating and rare disorders. Alexion developed and commercializes Soliris® (eculizumab), the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) and atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), two life-threatening ultra-rare disorders. As the global leader in complement inhibition, Alexion is strengthening and broadening its portfolio of complement inhibitors, including evaluating potential indications for eculizumab in additional severe and ultra-rare disorders. Alexion’s metabolic franchise includes two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare disorders, Strensiq® (asfotase alfa) to treat patients with hypophosphatasia (HPP) and Kanuma™ (sebelipase alfa) to treat patients with lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). In addition, Alexion is advancing the most robust rare disease pipeline in the biotech industry, with highly innovative product candidates in multiple therapeutic areas.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Alexion, please visit www.alexionpharma.com or download our App for iPhones and Blackberries.
Alexion is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative action employer